Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:50 PM   #1

.....today I went to the Arlington, TX USA airport to see and shoot a few photos of a restored B-17 'flying fortress', the Aluminum Overcast. This plane is a remarkable restoration, it is one of 14 like it still flying. The original private purchase of this plane as military surplus was for $750.00

Today I used the E-3 w/50-200ZD and the 14-54ZD in AP mode @ ISO 400 which produced some really 'too' fast shutter speeds, but these turned out ok.

Here are a few from my small album at http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/galler...02081778_w2NJe

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2008, 5:18 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

750 dollars? Is that really the figure that the person paid for the plane?

Anyways......I'm going to take a peek of your gallery when I have a minute. In the meantime,the ones you've posted here are really sharp.

That is one beautiful aircraft.. The fellow did a superb restoration job.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:11 PM   #3

Hi Bob

Thanks for posting those pics of the B17.. she looks mightly pretty even after all these years and to think they sold it for 750.00.

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:14 PM   #4

Great shots boBB. I really enjoy those old airplanes. The younger guys don't appreciate that they are looking at a piece of living history.

As an FYI re the $750 war surplus price, don't ask what the restoration costs are to restore that plane to what you see in Bob's photos. You either have to be a rich millionaire, or have access to some serious grant money or foundation donations, etc. and not just of money, but of engineering talent and volunteer time.

Good job Bob. I also have a few aviation shots of old planes. Shots 1 &4 are super examples of the 50-200. Just another reason to wish that I had that lens.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:40 PM   #5

.......thanks fellows, here is a link that explains some of the history for this plane. It does say that the original buy did not include the machine guns and other of the good stuff. http://www.b17.org/history/aluminum_overcast.asp

This photo reminds me of what would have been an 'E' coupon ride today

Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:04 PM   #6

Hi, Bob

Great pix! They reminded me of how small that plane really was, for airmen to take way intohostile territory with superior fighters attacking them (until the P-51 showed up to support them).

It also shows how good the Oly "Pro Lenses" (formerly "high grade") are. I think the ZD 50-200, 14-54, and 11-22have tended to be underestimated (or at least forgotten) as Oly has introduced newer lenses. Those lenses are great and fast enough for good use.Although probably not sealed well enough for a Pro in adverse (i.e. desert) conditions - I've often wondered how well my 50-200 will hold up in the long run after I've run that front element all the way out and back a lot of times. But meanwhile I'm really enjoying those lenses.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:48 PM   #7

.......thanks for looking Ted, Yessir, the lenses I have are as good as I need although I have always wanted the 11-22 too.

I have now taken 11,000+ with the E-300 with approx 4k of those with the 50-200 including 4 high school baseball seasons, the barrel is still snug.

I went back to the airport today and intended to take the 70-300 but at the last minute before leaving the house I thought, WHY??? I locked on the 50-200 to the E-3 and the 14-54 to the E-300, took a spare battery in my pocket and left all other at home.

I added a few new from today to the gallery

A fellow came in with this little guy..... what about those who did artillery recon while facing backwards in a 65hp no electrics bare essentials butterfly.

This photo is from the E-300 / 14-54

Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:38 AM   #8

That is one beautiful B-17G--my favorite aircraft.

After WW II you could buy a brand-new P-51, still in the crate, for $500. A restored one today is about $800K to a million plus.
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:29 PM   #9

WOW! Good pics Bob and a beautiful restoration, first class. I'll get to your album later.

I remember seeing these things take off and land way back in the distant past, probably around 1945 and later. I went down to visit an aunt in the south of England near Marsden, her property bordered the field.

I one of the neighbours was a pilot married to an English lady, I remember her telling my aunt that she got her bruises from her husband after getting kicked out of bed while he was yelling "Get out you silly bugger, we're on fire!" Funny how those things stay with you.

I was offered the job of helping restore the one at Boeing a few years back, it was just too far for me to travel though.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, Great pics.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote