Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:00 AM   #11

Steven R wrote:

:O :?

My E-330 has a neat little switch which blocks off theeyepiece when needed. I wonder why Oly didn't keep that for the newer models?

Steve R.

The E330 is the only non-pro Olympus body that's offered a finder blind. The E300 didn't, nor did the E500, 400, 410, 420, 510 or 520. Other than the E330, the E1 and E3 are the only ones. That is typically only a pro body feature, and the reason for it being on the E330had to do with the unique live view system on that camera...Olympus recommended you close it when in "A" mode of live view because stray light coming through the finder eyepiece can cause the exposure to be offsince in "A" mode, the mirror does not raise and the optical finder remains *Live* (pun intended).

Being that Live View was the main newattraction of the E330, incorporating an eyepiece blind was necessary as I'm sureOlympus figured many would use it often and thebuilt-in blindmakes closing the finder much faster/fluid than having to separately remove the rubber eyeguard and inserting a separate piece of plastic every time you wanted to use that mode of Live View.

Not suprisingly, and unfortunately for many who liked that option, Live Mode "A" died with the E330.There's an explanation ofthe operation of both modesin the E330 review on DPReview when you go to this page and go down to the "Live View" section..

Otherwise, the E330 would probably not have includeda built-ineyepiece blindeither.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote