Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:48 AM   #1

Long-time lurker and reader here requesting some help/advice as I am looking at upgrading my kit.

I currently have an E500 (had it for nearly 2 years now) along with the 14-45, 40-150 (old), 35mm macro and an FL36. I purchased the camera as I was disapponted with the results any point and shoot was giving me when taking pics of my son (now 4 and a half years old) so my pictures are of a general nature, nothing specific!!

My Birthday is coming up and I was thinking of getting another lens but am undecided about which way to go! I was thinking of either a Zuiko 70-300 or something like the zuiko 50f2 or one of the similar Sigma lenses.

Sometimes I find myself longing for more reach but I also wonder if one of the other lenses, being faster etc, would give me more options with my photography as I have another baby on the way so will be taking a lot of portraits!!!

Also, just doing some research, would I see just as much a benefit from upgrading my 14-45 to the 14-54.

In addition, I won't have a great budget to spend!!

Thanks for any advice you can give and I have to also say thanks for all the information posted on here. It has been a great help in the last 2 years and I have learned a lot from it!!
Any help/advice/experience is very much appreciated.
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:57 AM   #2

Hi Mike,

From a "get the most bang for the buck" perspective, If it were me, I would get the 70-300mm. Reasons are:

Has exceptionally good IQ for a budget lens.

Will give you much greater flexibility with having a longer focal length.

Is a surprisingly good macro lens. Add the EX-25 tube and it's amazing!

The IQ is such that you can easily use it for portraits.

You can pick one up on Amazon, B&H Photo, or Adorama for less than 300bucks. Someone is also selling a used one on EBay at this moment for 240bucks.

As for the 14-54mm, as much as I like the one I got last year - and I love it, it really isn't as great a jump in quality from the 14-50 that you have.

BTW, I currently have own a 50-200mm ED and the14-54mm which serve me well. But, at one time or another, I've owned the 50mm f2.0, 35mm macro, 14-50mm, 40-150mm, and the 70-300mm. The one lens I miss the most? -the 70-300mml.

Happy hunting,

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote