Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:40 AM   #1

I'm new here, so hello to all!

Well what happened is this. I had my camera laying on my desk with strapped attached and dangling off the side (I'm sure you all know where this is going). As I got up to get something my knee wrapped around the strap and I pulled tha camera clean off the desk and I was not quick enough to fully catch it as it fell off and hit the carpeted floor with a thud. It was one of those moments where you just cringe, close your eyes and slap your hand on your forhead and remain like that for a few seconds.

The carpetting in my flat is not really plush at all, more like office style thin carpetting or stuff you would find at a hotel. A bit of bounce to it but not much else. I was not quick enough to notice how it fell but I think the side of the lense and a bit of the body impacted first. The desk is about 4 feet high at the most.

My question is this. The camera seems to work absolutely fine. Seems to focus well and test pictures show no signs of weirdness. Flash work and all the modes I could think off work well on the surface. Not being an engineer in DSLRs I really dont know any more than to just take test shots and make sure things work as they used to.

One thing I did notice is that there is a slight little rattling noise coming from within the camera. It's hard to explain.. you dont hear it unless you put your ear close to it and the room is quiet. It sounds like something tiny is shaking inside of it.. it has a little springy sound to it. You shake it and stop, and the sound will rattle and vibrate a bit for a few seconds, likea tiny little spring would as it vibrates and comes to rest a few seconds later. It is quite hard to explain. In all honesty it could very well be something that has always been there and only now due to the drop I've become hyper sensitive to it.

Could fellow E-510 owners do me a huge favor and put their ears up to their camera bodies and lightly shake their cameras and let me know if this is normal? In some other forum I over heard people saying that the orientation sensor in the cameras may bea little ball/spring type contraption and makes this kind of noise when you lightly shake the camera. Aslo are there any other things I should check on the camera due to the fall or am I just being overly worried.

Thanks so much for any replies on this!
Luis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:01 PM   #2

Hi Luis: You need to repeat this post in the Olympus DSLR forum. You posted in the Olympus point and shoot. Go to Steve's dslr forum and you will see the one for Olympus dslr.

I don't own the E510, but there are a lot of guys on here who will have that model. We have some very knowledgeable people whomay be able to help you.

Good Luck,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:22 AM   #3
Super Moderator

No need to post again I've moved it for you.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:47 AM   #4

I have an E-510 and can tell you that it is dead quiet except when first turned on and the SSWF process is cleaning the sensor.

A couple of thoughts if you haven't already tried them.

Have you tried operating the camera in Live-view mode? The mirror does move in live view mode and blocks the viewfinder this procedure exposes another smaller mirror on the back of the larger one. This is the only springy thingy type component that I can think of in the camera.

Try operating the camera in IS1 and IS2 mode and see if there is a difference in operation/sound.

Also, if you have another lens, I would mount it on the camera and try the shaking it.

Lastly, if it were me, I would have my camera checked out by an Oly dealer.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote