Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:34 PM   #1

First, thanks for previous thread. Led to my buying great rig on eBay for great price.

Will someone help me with my two big unknowns? Can I effectively use my SLR fixed 300mm with the DSLR E510? Guidance? Also, love the night shots of the Grand Canyon. Advice for those with "B" setting dreams?

floatalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:52 PM   #2

Congrats on your new camera!

As for your existing 300mm SLR lens being used on the E--510, yes you can most likely use it. provided that you get an adapter that will allow you to mount the lens onto the E=510. You didn't mention the manufaturer of the lens and what SLR you used it with so, we can't give you an exact answer. Having said that, you can find adapters to mount most any brand of lens onto the E-510 on EBay. There are 2 that I've used in the past. Cirrus adapters and JinFinance. Both companies are in China. They, however, have a wide range of good quality adapters and the pricing is reasonable.

One caveat, you will have to use the lens in manual mode and manualy focus.

Not sure if you're familiar with this site but Wrotniak.net is a great site for technical information and how tos in order to get the most out of your camera. Take a look at photo tidbits section and you will find a whole range of information on the E-xxx series cameras, lenses, etc.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:04 PM   #3

Hi: Glad to hear you got a good deal on a good camera.

As an owner of6+ legacy OM lens, I've bought different adapters from various vendors. I've found the best quality seems to be from Fotodiox. They sell on e-bay

The focus confirmation adapter that I bought from Jinfinance worked fine for a while, but with use, it stopped making good contact with the camera, andthe camera would not always take a shot when I pressed the shutter.

Good luck,

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote