Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1

Driving out to Lubbock, Texas from Dallas you see a LOT of wideopen territory, and there's definitely a lot of interesting subjects to shoot.

From around Abilene for the next 50-60 miles, there are, literally, hundreds of wind turbines. I shot these against the big skies of West Texas at the 12mm end of my 12-60 Zuiko andthe E520. I did correctfor the lenses inherentdistortion using Studio. The leaning turbines on the edges of the framecan be attributed to pointing the camera up so much. I decided to not mess with making corrections to straighten themthat would wind up narrowing the view.

One of the more famous peoplefrom Lubbock was Buddy Holley. I did not realize until I shot this that is was 50 years ago last month when he died.

Driving east from Lubbock you go over the caprock, a formation that rises up from east to west. other than the highways and a few hints of civilization, this area looks virtually unchanged from what you would have seen passing through the area by wagon 125 years or more ago, and back then you would have beenon the look-outfor indians.

The image belowis one of several historical markers you can stop to see as you drive through the area. The officer mentioned here, GeneralMackenzie, was stationed at Fort Richardson in Jacksboro, Texas, the subject of my next post.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:21 PM   #2

Good job Greg: Interesting juxtaposition ofold west history!

Steve r.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote