Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:53 PM   #1

I've been still in 2-3 minds on what the best RAW convertor for ORF files would be for ages and a whiel ago decided that if teh Jpegs were good enough I was more than happy. Until today I had always thought that the in cam jpegs and thus Studio/Master were producing the best jpegs (esp with regards to detail, sharpness and noise characteristics) . However. I still havent made the jump to Studio as I just don;t find it as easy to use as it should be and I've ended up still plugging away with Adobe ACR/LR (now version 2.3).

To cut a long story short - I took the my nephews dogs out for a walk and too a few pics of them with the E3+35-100F2. What suprised me with LR2.3 was that there was more detail showing in the RAW files than the out of cam Jpegs, and as always there's the better highlight/shadow recovery with LR/ACR/Bibble. Let me know what you think as I;d like to know if anyone else has noticed this or am I just seeing things ?

Here's an example pic:

E3 (firmware 1.4); ISO 400, f5.6 @ 1/320s

1. E3 Out of Cam Jpeg - Default settings (no NR, Super fine jpegs):

2. Light Room 2.3 Jpeg (Adobe Std 2 profile, No NR, sharpening 50% @ 0.5, converted from 16bit PSD to 8bit jpeg in CS3, No additional sharpening in CS3 - I;d usually add a wee bit of USM but in this case I had not)

3. Crop nose

OOC E3 Jpeg LR2.3 8bit Jpeg

4. Crop Eye:

5. Jaw line:

6. Ear

Regards the 1.4 update - definitely a nice update to the AF. I've not tested CAF but SAF feels a lot snappier with instant AF with the 35-100 at least.

:O :?

Took another look at the RAW and if I drop the exposure in LR by -0.5 then all of the fine hair and detail around the nose which is mainly blown out in both of these versions is there to see.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links