Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 1, 2009, 7:51 PM   #1

We purchased our E-510 a year ago - my wife returned from a trip and the built-in flash no longer works. Have tried to reset the camera and no go. Tried another lens, no go. The red flash icon blinks on the LCD when the shutter release is depressed, but the shutter fails to release. Shutter release works fine outdoors (no flash). So, my questions are as follows:

1) Any idea what could be wrong?
2) Do you think an external flash would still work?
3) Instead of sending it in to Olympus for repair and assuming the answer to question 2 is Yes, would you buy an external flash (FL-36 or third party) and just live without the popup flash?
4) Anyone who has had their cameras repaired by Olympus - how reasonable were the charges?

Thanks so much in advance!

LennyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2009, 4:45 AM   #2

My suggestion is to contact Olympus and see if they could suggest any possible steps that would solve your problem. Olympus service is typically very fast and usually reasonable in their cost to repair-if in fact a repair is required.

I would definitely not live without the buil-in flash.

As for an external flash unit, I have the FL-36 and find itworks great for me. Since it's no longer being made, you can usually pick up a used one for around 100 to 140 bucks US.

good luck

zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote