Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 8, 2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Default Olympus E-510 write speed?

This is my very first post to the fourms! I found this fourm as a result of researching the best compactflash for my E-510. I have managed to work myself into a complete standstill.

I understand that CF come in 80x, 133x, 233x and now 300x. But I can't find what the fastest speed the e-510 will handle.

I mean, I don't want to get a 233x if the camera bus can't write it out that fast - it would just be a waste right? If so then I would get a larger capicity 133x.

Does anybody have some advice?
tscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2009, 11:24 AM   #2

The write speed of the E510 is very modest. I would imagine a Sandisk Ultra series of cards is well within the limit of how fast it can write. I have used my E510 to record bursts at the horse track and at baseball games...always shooting RAW, so there always was a limit as to how many frames I could shoot due to the buffer in the E510 before it would start slowing down, and never had an issue with going over the limit.

I would imagine a card the likes of a Sandisk Extreme series or anything over 133x would be overkill.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 3:09 PM   #3

Probably more than you want to know, but here's a link to a detailed article with test results using various CF cards and the E-510 DSLR camera.

BTW, you might want to look at some of the other technical articles on the site relative to your camera. There is a wealth of information on the E-510.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 10:34 AM   #4

Looking at mere numbers is not enough. In fact manufacturers may be quoting read speeds instead of write speeds.

People who have tested various cards with consumer Oly cameras in the past have found the Sandisk ExtremeIII to be the fastest for writing; the UltraII cards take twice as long to write as the ExtremeIII.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote