Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 16, 2009, 9:34 PM   #11

Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
As a budget alternative, I was thinking more along the lines of a used Tokina AT-X 400mm f5.6 lens. Started by former Nikon engineers, Tokina makes pretty decent lenses and their AT-X versions are said to be good quality. As Greg, said, you'd most likely would have to get a 4/3 adapter and definitely use it in manual mode. I've seen them being sold on EBay for less than 400 bucks.

I can agree with zig. The Tokina is a good lens for the money. I have several old lens that fit my OM2 that I now use with adapters on my E-330, including a Zuiko 65-200, Vivitar Series 1 70-210, and a Tokina 80-200 f4.5 with a Tokina 2x converter. The Tokina is so much smaller & lighter than the others. While I usually use my Oly digital 150, I still pull out the Tokina when I need some extra range. I can easiy handhold the Tokina at 200mm, but at 400mm it usually needs a tripod. Considering that a Tokina 80-200 f4.5 can be picked up on e-bay for less than $50, it is a bargain. I'm looking to add the Olympus 70-300, but I'll keep the old Tokina as another backup.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 11:09 PM   #12

I am a Bigma user that was ready to sell if I could find a buyer. Then one day by chance I put the big guy on a tripod and shot in full sun. Not as good as a prime but for the price and after learning to use the lens the Bigma does quite well. Light is the key.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote