Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 20, 2009, 5:56 PM   #1
Default TTL Flash for E-500

Are there any cheaper flash units out there for the Evolt 500 that actually work with the camera?(TTL) I have seen many that claim they work but reviewers claim otherwise. I want a flash but don't want to pay a fortune for one. Or does anyone have any recommendations for a non-TTL flash that will work well.
r1wigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2009, 5:59 AM   #2

This question is probably better posted in the Olympus DSLR Forum. But, here is a link to a similar question posted by another forum member:
Best Aftermarket flash for the E-510?

FWIW, I use an FL-36 by Olympus. It is a perfect match up for your E-500.
Not sure what your budget is but since the FL-36 is discontinued, you can usually pick up a used one for around 125-160bucks.

zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 10:38 AM   #3

I'm going to move this over to the Olympus dSLR forum, you should get a bit more feedback there.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Default .......the ProMaster 5750 works for me

..........I have a FL-36 Olympus that is excellent and the small size makes it very convenient to have in the bag.

I also have a ProMaster 5750DX and use it with my C7070WZ, E-300 DSLR and E-3 DSLR. The current Olympus module is TTL compatible for all the current Olympus DSLR cameras since the flash data re-do commencing with the E-300.

While the FL-36 is complete with TTL including the flash zoom following the lens zoom the ProMaster is TTL compatible sans the flash zoom. The head has 3-positions detented zoom which is manually adjusted. For me this has never been an issue. The ProMaster head swivels 180 degrees and tilts to 90 degrees, fitted with a StoFen diffuser the flash works very well.

For me the Promaster has been good, it is physically large, I do recommend the Promaster as a price alternative to the FL-50R Olympus, FL-36R or the Metz series for Olympus.

For a look the following link is the store from which I purchased my 5750 DX flash, it is a reliable store.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote