Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:03 AM   #1
Default Help with the noise

Can anyone offer any help with my noise issue. I have been attempting to photograph lightning storms and sunsets the past couple of evenings. I am using an olympus E-500 with 14-45 and a 70-300 lens. I can't quite get the settings right. I'm using a tripod and shutter timer.

I get the occasional decent image with some grainy areas. I haven't thus far been able to get a complete image thats a keeper.

Any ideas or links would be appreciated.

Attached Images
outdoorsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:19 AM   #2

Does the E500 have a noise reduction setting that you can turn on? This is separate from the noise filter. Noise reduction takes several seconds to work as it is designed to deal with noise in images like this where, I am assuming, you kept the shutter open for a few seconds.

The E500 is one of just one or two E series Olympus DSLR's I have never used, but I believe both the E1 and E300 have noise reduction options so I'd be suprised if the E500 did not.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:21 AM   #3

Your sample image doesn't contain any settings information (the EXIF has been stripped out by your image editor). So, you may want to post a sample that includes the EXIF using something like the free Irfanview to downsize it (making sure that retain Exif is checked when you use the Save As feature). It's also a good idea to downsize an image to around 640 to 800 pixels wide so that viewers with lower resolution displays don't need to scroll to see an entire image. If you're using Photoshop, don't use "Save for Web" (as that strips out the EXIF).

To keep noise lower, you'll want to keep your ISO speed set to it's lowest value, using longer shutter speeds to get the correct exposure. I'd keep long exposure Noise Reduction turned on if your model lets you set it to reduce hot pixels.

If you have a lot of difference between bright and dark areas (as in that sample), you may want to consider bracketing your photos (taking around 5 or 6 images at various exposure settings that are around 2 stops apart from bright to dark). Then, combine them later using software like Photomatix
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks guys I will work on that!
outdoorsur is offline   Reply With Quote