Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1

Default E-520 firmware bug or 'feature' ?

I have had some frustrations using Program Mode with the 'Control Dial' thumb wheel to change through the available programmed exposures.

The issue is that I find that if I continue to flick the wheel past the last available exposure in the 'table' it takes the same number of clicks back before it gets back on the 'table' again. This takes extra time and attention to find where the first change really is...

I'm not sure how to better explain it better, but trying it out on the camera should make more sense.
Because there is no indication that you're at the limit, and you continue thumbing away in one direction you can spend frustrating time thumbing back again before the exposure values in the OVF start to change again. This especially becomes frustrating if I rapidly want full aperture in program mode and flick it across madly, but then decide I want to go slightly higher in aperture. It can take many clicks (as many as I went past full open) before the aperture/program responds.

In technical terms it's like the camera has a 'click counter' that does not actually stop at real limits of the program table.

Maybe I've missed the reason for this behavior, or maybe it's a small bug ?
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:31 PM   #2

No, and it's not just limited to the E-520 either...it's been a fault on all of mine.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
No, and it's not just limited to the E-520 either...it's been a fault on all of mine.
Oh, I see. I wonder if Olympus is aware of it then.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:17 PM   #4

Probably...I have a Sony A300, it does the same thing, I always thought it was kinda neat..A little aggravating at first, but then I got used to it..

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:10 AM   #5

I wonder how hard it would be for the camera to just give a short 'pip' tone when you get to the limits at either end...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:46 AM   #6

I've noticed this same thing for a while now, as I will almost always start turning the wheel in the wrong direction when I want to use the exposure shift option. You hit the limit due to running out of shutter speeds or apertures, yet the camera makes you recount back the same number of clicks to get back to where you were to start actually changing things again, and it has worked that way all the way back to the E1, making me wonder if it's something that will ever change.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 10, 2009 at 12:20 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote