Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:21 PM   #1
Default Thanks Ted re: Neopod-7

Hi Ted,
Just wanted to let you know that, based on your suggestion, I did order and received this morning the Velbon Neopod-7 monopod.

This is certainly one of the better built monopods I've seen. At 122.54, it certainly isn't the least expensive unit out in the marketplace, BUT, this thing is really built very well. I was going to go with a Manfrotto aluminum unit at less than 1/2 the price but, then you said something that really hit home; you stated that you bought one of these sturdy units because the combined replacement cost of the camera and lens was around $4,000- a very significant investment.

That put things in proper perspective in my mind.

A couple of points for those that might be contemplating getting a monopod in the near future:

1- Build quality is excellent. Made using carbon fibre making this unit both light and very strong.

2- This unit certainly expands to a height that doesn't cause you to stoop down. I'm roughly 6' 2" tall and my one concern after looking at the specs of a number well made competitve units was the actual fully expanded height of the pod. The Neopod 7 expands to about 66.9" high. Most of the others I 've been researching , cap off at 60" to 62" high. Too short for me as I'd have to be stooping down all the time.

3-I looked at a number of sites, and found the best to be Amazon.com - price wise. The actual vendor was Adorama. It was shipped at no add'l charge, on the 8th and arrived this morning.
Ya just can't beat that!

So thanks again, Ted. Much appreciated.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:57 PM   #2

H, Zig. I'm glad you liked it. I've been really happy with mine and I use it a lot since I use the 35-100F2 a lot.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote