Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:33 PM   #1
Default Portrait prime lens .. who would bite if there was one ?

Hi Guys and Gals,

Now a lot of people have made the comment that 4/3 doesn;t have a dedicated portrait lens like any of the other systems. My question is if Oly did an SHG 45mm or 50mm F2 or faster portrait lens would you be interested and how much would you be willing to spend on it ?

Personally, Id like the option of a 45/50mm f1.4 SHG quality (as good or better than the 35-100 or 14-35F2 IQ wise), esp if it were reasonably priced and more so if I did not have the 35-100 F2. We all know that the 50mmMacro is a bitingly sharp lens but its still not a dedicated portrait lens. Pricewise.. I'm not too sure but I think around $600-700 USD would be a good starting point.

There's no chance of seeing one I think as Oly have not made any new additions to their 4/3 lens map but we can always hope.

Last edited by HarjTT; Nov 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:22 PM   #2

I can't see Olympus making prime lenses unless they make a serious e.g. - 25mm, 50mm, 85mm.
I think Olympus prefer the zoom option and the 7-14mm, 14-35mm, 35-100mm cover this base
And the purposed 100mm macro replaces the 50mm for proper macro work.

If you do Portraiture work then you probably making money from it and the 14-35mm would be your choice.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:18 PM   #3
Default Hi Harj

I'm done buying lenses, but in my opinion a faster prime shorter than the 50 f2 would be a wise thing for Olympus to do. A 40 f1.4 would be a great addition, and make it a non-macro so focus is quicker and more reliable. It is needed for the system.

I'm not buying though. No models in my future. Closest thing for me is the dogs. Story of my life

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:01 AM   #4
Default Greg,

I agree, a 40mm f1.4 prime those who require it for portraiture, etc. would be a good choice to offer. But, for me, zoom lenses offer more flexibility. I've had both the 35mm 3.5 and the 50mm 2.0 ZD lenses and while they are fine lenses, I just didn't use them enough to warrant keeping them. I opted to sell them to help finance a zoom.

Based on the current offering from Oly, it looks like they think zooms are the way to go.

BTW, this is the one area where, I think, a good fast Legacy prime has a place in someones kit. The Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4 comes to mind. I have the Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7 lens and still use it for portrait work from time to time. It is a wonderfully sharp lens and can be had for less than 50bucks typically. It serves this purpose quite well IMHO.

Last edited by zig-123; Nov 30, 2009 at 5:20 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote