Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:01 PM   #11

Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
It's 17F (wind chill 4F) right now. I wonder that's not really good to use a camera outside?
I would imagine you can... just not for very long. It will decrease your battery life, too.

Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Nice shots. I would suggest bumping your ISO to get faster shutter speeds - that will help refine some of the feather detail. While IS or a tripod prevents camera shake, you still get feather movement. 1/200 at ISO 400 should give you sharper images than 1/50 at ISO 100. Also, be careful of overcropping - that cuts down on sharpness as well.

But, you're off to a fantastic start!
Thanks very much, John. Tips very much appreciated.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:00 PM   #12

Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
It's 17F (wind chill 4F) right now. I wonder that's not really good to use a camera outside?
Sorry to interrupt here and allow me just a small digression from gjtoth's new Oly E620

- To hiro1963 and others who are afraid of exposing their cameras to low temperatures.

They can take it! And they should. I was out during the night of wednesday the 2nd December waiting for the sun to come up just to try out my new camera (Lumix G1) in night-and lowlight-conditions. I was on location from 06:00 to 09:00 AM (thats 3 straight hours) and it was cold.

It was minus 6 Centigrade / the equivalent of 21 Fahrenheit. On top of that there was fog coming up from the river neraby and the humididty was very high.

The camera didn't flinch one bit, just kept on working and by the end (I shot some 600 exposures) the battery was still up to 2/3rds of its capacity.

So, never mind the cold, cameras can take the cold.

What you have to be careful with is the sudden temperature-differences. For instance, when I come home from a cold assignement, I take out my SD-card outside my frontdoor - befor I go inside the warmth - put my camera back into the padded bag, go inside, and leave the camera in the bag until a few hours later. That way the temperature inside the camerabag and the camera itself raises slowly to adjust to normal room-temperature, thus avoiding condensation, which is a killer of digital circuits.

So, hiro1963, I don't want to hear that excuse to go outside no more, you hear!

Edit: I just found a photo that shows both the cold and the fog (Humidity) of that night.
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:29 PM   #13

Hi Walter-

Thanks for sharing your experience and great tip! I was wondering about the condensation factor too. I like the way you do.

Now, I should get out and take some pics!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:30 PM   #14

what kind of lens did you use here? I am new to photography and just purchased an e620. really having a lot of trouble with autofocus speacially in dark places
tetzumaru is offline   Reply With Quote