Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:32 PM   #11

The detail in those flies and other small critters is extraordinary. THAT type of macro work not only requires the abilities of a lens like the 50mm f2, but also probably the patience I don't have to make such an image!

The "other" lens that has the makeup for a great closeup lens for subjects you can get physically close enough to, but I have not used that way yet, is the 12-60 Zuiko. It focuses so close that the subject at 60mm and the closest focus distance can almost be touched by the lens hood.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:32 PM   #12

Wow, Ted, I'm touched by your concern for me. (smile). But I'm over the loss of selling the 50mm macro.

And, you're right, even if I still had it today, I'd probably take it out off the shelf a couple of times a year and probably just look at it. The zooms I own are just that much more versatile and get the most use.
One thing I loved to do with it was to shoot portraits of my grandkids. The results (to me) were similar to the 35-100mm, in that, the photo just jumped off the screen at you- they were that sharp.

I'm pretty much like everyone else that hates to sell really fine equipment, even if you don't use them enough to justify. Me, I sold my 50mm macro to help pay for the 50-200mm. Now, that's something I'd do again in a heart beat.

Greg (whose not from Texas),
Your macro shots are just wonderful! They are as good as anything I've ever seen.

Greg's right about the 12-60mm. Great lens with tremendous close range focusing capability. For that matter, It's just a great lens.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote