Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Default Stars vs. Avalanche- E30 and 40-150

OK, I saw someone with with some lens at least as long, if not bigger than the 70-300, so that ones' next, but tonight it was the 40-150 kit lens and the E30.

Instead of mid-ice, I watched this one from a different angle.

Crossing the line...

One second out of the net..

the next second, it was in..

Trying to shield the goalie, and protecting yourself at the same time..

Watching the action on the inside, and the photographers on the outside..

Taking the action off the rink..

Sitting above the lights..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 30, 2010 at 2:30 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:19 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

Great series of images.

I noticed, when looking through your gallery at SmugMug that the ISO ranged between 1250 and 1600. Noise is pretty well controlled considering the high ISO, in my estimation. Or, did you do some noise removal in PP?

BTW, you also saw a good game as the Stars won 3-2.

added 9:31am

Hey Greg,

You can disregard my question. On DPreview you mentioned that you processed images thru Adobe's ACR5.6 which answered my question

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3

The first half of the game I had the camera set to manual exposure, ISO 1600 and 1/500 second at f5.6. I also had the white balance set manually to keep the ice consistently white each and every shot.

During the second period I changed my settings just to see what would happen. I went to shutter speed priority and 1/500 second. Set the ISO and white balance to auto and changed the upper range ceiling for Auto ISO to 1600 and set +.07 exposure compensation. Of all those changes, the only one that I wish I had kept set as originally set was the manual white balance setting, just to keep those all consistent.

The other settings consistently kept me in a lower ISO setting. I know one responder at DRP mentioned JPEG's, but I did shoot these all RAW and then processed them in ACR. I had just upgraded my ACR earlier Friday to the latest version before leaving for the game.

The only place I used any noise reduction was in the shot of the photographers shooting the play along the boards, and it was only used in the crowd section of that one shot. Everywhere else I just loaded the converted files without doing anything else. There's a definite leap in image quality at these settings with shots from E30 RAW files compared to the newer E620.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote