Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 13, 2010, 4:12 AM   #1
Default Sling Camera Bags

For the last 4 months or so I have been using a sling bag from Samsonite I found at Target for only $20. It turns out to be really practical--much better than the Off Trail sidepack I was using (a bag that can hold an SLR and a 200mm lens attached plus two more lenses is a bit large to be on your hip).

Anyway, I really am sold on the sling bag concept. Great way to carry a lot of stuff, and yet have access to it without putting the bag down on the ground, or even take it off, as you do with most backpacks.

While the samsonite was great, it unfortunately, was not made to last very long. The strap is starting to come off at the top--and if I use it much longer, it might just break with my equipment inside. Perhaps that's why you can't find it listed on any Samsonite site, or for sale anywhere. I seem to have the only one ever made.

So I've been looking for a new sling. The Tamrac slings look good, but have received mixed reviews on the web.

After a lot of searching, I also found a somewhat obscure LowePro sling

LowePro LX-220 Sling Camera bag

Has anyone seen or tried this? What do you think?

Does anyone here use either of the Tamrac velocity models? http://www.tamrac.com/5749.htm

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

fake louis vuitton | replica louis vuitton handbags
louisvuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 5:23 AM   #2

I haven't used a Tamrac Velocity bag, but I've used Tamrac bags for a couple of decades at least, and they do hold up well.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 7:07 AM   #3

I have a Sling camera bag too, the 100AW. The only downside to this bag is that when I have the 70-300 mounted, it's real tight fit. One would probably need a model up.
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 7:19 AM   #4

I use a Zeikos sling bag. It's slightly larger than the Lowepro 100AW and my E-620 with 70-300mm fits perfectly. It's well-constructed and has plenty of room (for me) for my other "stuff". http://tinyurl.com/37d2p8m
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 9:56 AM   #5

I picked up a sling Lowepro (don't recall the model) in Costco a couple of years back. Works just fine. Gets the 500 with a lens mounted and has room for 4 more, including the 70-300. Batterys cards etc. Works well carrying on a flight, I can get a book or magazine and steal packets of peanuts to hide in it..!
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote