Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:52 AM   #1
Default E-500 LCD issue

My E-500's LCD seems to have died on me yesterday. At first, the display worked fine then the images (setting/pic's/ect) would start to "smear" then the LCD would go black altogether. If I powered the camera down, then back up, the image would appear for a few seconds then smear again to black. Now, the LCD is just black all the time. The LCD light is working, whatever controls the images on the LCD is suspect. Anyone have any insight to this issue? The camera has been cared for properly and never dropped. The problem just started. The camera still functions properly, besides the pixels on the LCD being blacked out.

Thanks for any help!
Rugerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:51 PM   #2

Hi Rugerfan: This needs to be posted in the Olympus DSLR forum. There are some very knowledgeable and nice people in that group. Several of them have owned the E-500. They will be glad to offer advice.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:45 PM   #3

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:29 PM   #4

Rugerfan, sounds like your lcd has died this might be repairable, but the question is it worth it. I just received an e-mail with repair costs for my e-3 which had a broken plastic bezel around the Lcd. The estimate from Olympus repair was $196, I will have it done because it is cheaper than replacing the camera. However in your case you could get a used e-500 cheaper from keh than what it would cost to have yours fixed. You could probably still use yours for basic still life shots if you tethered the video output to a small tv. Other than that the choice is yours.

Note: Olympus repairs seem to run in the $200-$300 dollar range from what I have seen posted around the internet.

cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote