Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:47 AM   #1
Default [pics] Rainbow Lorikeet part 2

Part of the flock of Rainbow Lorikeets at the Billanook College vineyards weren't satisfied with waiting their turn for a feed at the holes in the netting - they had made their way inside the netting & were gorging themselves on grapes! There were only a few holes large enough for the lorikeets to enter & exit so I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to get up close with these beautiful birds. I crawled under the netting & just sat quietly & observed the lorikeets for a while, which gave the birds some time to get used to my presence.

This lorikeet was very curious of me. After sitting for about 15 minutes it began flying closer to me, retreating, then coming closer again. I was stoked when it clung upside down to the netting & gave me a thorough inspection! First it looked at me from the right.. then the left.. then from the right again!

Olympus E620
Zuiko 70-300mm lens
focal length: 300mm
ISO: 800
shutter speed: 1/160sec
aperture: f5.6

The final image in this series of Rainbow Lorikeets amongst the vineyard. By this time the sun had set & the last of the natural light was fading fast. I wish I had had more time with these beautiful birds, watching & photographing their behaviour was fascinating & a real highlight.

Olympus E620
Zuiko 70-300mm lens
focal length: 300mm
ISO: 800
shutter speed: 1/100sec
aperture: f5.6

piXelatedEmpire.com | Bird & Wildlife Photography

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links