Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2010, 4:16 PM   #1
Default Two E5 hands on user reviews....

Orginially posted on dpr... theres just so much being posted there it all just seems to get lost

Part 2: Macro shooting

Part 1: Street shooting

Day 1:

"For tonight, I am just warming up to the feel of shooting high ISO; thus, won't be making much time writing techno-babble. For a start, the ISO acceptance seems to be up by 1 or 2 stops from E-30. In effect with E-5, I am starting to use ISO1600 as my confident level before having to sweat out perfect exposures (see, with higher ISO, perfect exposure is very vital for low noise images)."

Day 2:

"I am now a very satisfied Zuiko Digital ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD user
The E-5 really does justice to both resolution and AF speed for this lens!!!"

Day 3:

"What this means is that with whatever technology that Olympus has, hopefully it's cutting edge, the Truepic V+ "Fine Detail Processor" looks into each pixel and process the sharpness and moire to ensure the best image quality the sensor can capture. Also, the Optical Filter, aka AA (Anti Aliasing) Filter is much weaker than the E-30 to allow more resolution from the Zuiko Digital lens to pass to the 12M Live MOS Sensor. In effect, the only changes made from the E-30 to the E-5 with regards to image capture are these two."

"From the sample images, I have started to see improvements on the sharpness of the E-5 over the E-3. I have yet to take some E-30 images to compare, though. I might do it today or tomorrow. I apologize for not having time pixel peep, as I only have 3 days to test this camera."

The macro shots look very impressive. The street shots are good but I'd have liked to have aseen a comparison with an EP or E30. The art fileters .. well they look good .. nothing that can;t be done in LR or CS and something that i certainly don't have any need for.

On the whole two fairly promising reviews...I would really like to see a review from Sean Reid and see what he thinks of the E5, esp as a working Pro tog. It was his review of the E1 that made decide on getting an Oly and he's always been pretty spot on in his assesments.

I'm assuming that the E5 has the E30's AF system. Its a real shame that Oly couldn't be bothered to fix the E3's AF to work properly with the 14-35F2 and that they only fixed the AF for in the E30 and Greg's pics prove it. I'd ike to see some real action shots with the E5 and a few catwalk shows as well. Lets hope they have done proper QC on the E5 and tested its AF with all lenses and that there are no OOF problems with the cam.

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:19 AM   #2

Hi Harj,

Thanks for posting these links. The more I read about what has actually been done to the E-5 to improve ISO performance as well as the key differences between the new E-5 and the E-3 or E-30, I'm coming to the realization that my upgrade path is more likely going to be upgrading lenses versus camera body.

With the new firmware dealing with AF for SWD lenses, I think I'll replace my 50-200mm ED lens with an SWD version. I already have the 12-60mm SWD. Next on the list would be a 35-100mm 2.0

With the continued improvements in noise reduction that Adobe has achieved with it's Camera Raw 6.2 plug-in, I find that the high ISO shots coming out of the E-30 are very acceptable to me. The more I use it, the more I like the results it provides.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote