Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:25 PM   #1
Default Poll: Are you looking to get an E-5 ?

Hi Guys/Gals

Just thought I'd see how many of us on the forum are looking to get the E-5 and if so what kind of time frame and potential price point?

Right now personally, I've found the two user reviews of the E-5 interesting and I'm waiting to see what the main review sites give as their opinion on the camera and how it fares against its direct competition. My thoughts on the E-5's technical spec's and pricing haven't changed and I still think that if it had been released 12 montsh ago it would have been a pretty good upgrade. Right now I don;t have any plans on getting one at least not for the next 12+18months even if it gets rave reviews unless the E3 kicks the bucket or the price tumbles by 300-400 or I'm on hols in the US!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:20 PM   #2

Before year-end. If I do not have mine by 12/31/2010, it will only be because they don't have them in stock.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:39 PM   #3

Hi Harj,
Unless something happens to my E-30 or the price drops significantly, I'm like you, in that, I'll upgrade at some point in the next 12 months.

I like my E-30 and with CS5 + Adobe's Camera Raw 6.2 I would find it difficult to make a move.

My current upgrade path, I think for now, will be upgrading my lenses to SWD and SHG grade.

Most people I meet and talk with are Nikon & Canon user's. I've got a friend who picked up the D-90 and another has Canon's 20D. Both are good cameras but I'm really beginning to appreciate the lenses I have and their output as opposed to what the Canon and Nikon guys have.

P.S. to Greg, Can't wait for you to get your E-5. It will be fun to see what your results are and your evaluation of the new flagship.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:29 PM   #4

E-5 in 12+ months depending on the amount of the price drop, but will also consider the E-30 depending on how much cheaper it becomes compared to the E-5.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:39 PM   #5

As an FYI, some recent test shots on the four thirds user site tested the E-5 Continuous Auto Focus on flying birds and reports that the C-AF appears to be improved.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:56 PM   #6

I've weathered the temptation to pre-order, and I've thought about how much I still like the E-3.

I'm in the process of trying to sell the Pen and some lenses on that "other" site, but to be honest I'm really looking to pick up the Panny/Leica 25 f1.4 first to replace the ability of the Panny 20 f1.7 on the Pen.

I think I'll grab the E-5 somewhere along the line, but I have no idea when. If the C-AF is lots better it will likely be sooner than later. Its a nice camera, I'm sure, but I'm functional without it too.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:34 PM   #7

I'm thinking about switching to Nikon D7000. The specs/price are so much better comparing to the E-5. But since I've invested so much on Oly ZD lenses, I may have to carry both DSLRs from now on

Last edited by jacobt; Oct 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:14 PM   #8

I will probably get one if I can find one in the November time frame, From what I have seen so far it has the bug fixes of the e-3 that most have asked for. And if it gets me more keepers on the card during commissioned work that are salable, then it should pay for itself in no time. To me that is what is important for the e-5. the epl-1 has already become my favorite for personal work & experimentation where weather sealing isn't an issue.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:26 AM   #9

I can really use the improved high ISO. I'll get one when a price drop coincides with my having the money to pay for it. (Assuming the main reviews support the claimed improvements).
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:54 AM   #10

no, I'll be looking at getting an E30 very soon.. E5 is just too large (and expensive) for my needs.
piXelatedEmpire.com | Bird & Wildlife Photography

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote