Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:49 AM   #1
Default [pics] Garden Orb-weaving Spider & Black House Spider

A Garden Orb-weaving Spider taking refuge on a dragon crystal hanging under the back verandah. The previous night it had spun a massive web in the driveway between the fence & the house just over my car, almost died when I went out the front & almost walked into the web.

The Garden Orb-weaving spider, as the name suggests, builds a large, strongly constructed orb-shaped web to catch itís prey of mostly flying insects. The web is usually constructed in the evenings & is often taken down the following dawn. The spider rests upside down in the centre of the web during the night & spends the day on nearby foliage with itís legs drawn in & is well camouflaged.

Olympus E620
Zuiko 70-300mm lens

This is the resident Black House Spider that lives just outside the front door next to the porch light at my place. It never goes hungry considering the number of insects that are attracted to the light.

The Black House Spider is a timid spider which will normally only venture from itís hiding place when prey is entangled in the web. The prey is then quickly seized & dragged back into the lair.

piXelatedEmpire.com | Bird & Wildlife Photography

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Great set again.

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote