Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:20 PM   #11

The E30 is a fantastic camera....I'm not going to give mine up on picking up my E5. The areas I expect to be improved are:

1. The added ISO 6400 setting is going to be much, much better than the time or two I have shot RAW with my E30 at ISO 3200, underexposed by 1 stop then tried pushing the file in Adobe Camera RAW. E30 files captured RAW normally (no underexposing) at ISO 3200 and processed in ACR look really nice, but I expect the E5 files will be even nicer.

2. The lighter AA filter should result in detail capture and sharpness at all ISO settings at least as good as what I see in Pen E-PL1 files, which are quite excellent. That same image quality in a camera that shoots as fast as the E5 and natively uses my current Digital Zuikos is as good as we've ever had.

3. Dual card slots. I can now couple the 12 GB-worth of CF cards I own with the 16 GB worth of SD cards I also own, one of which is 8GB. My CF cards are all 4GB, so I could be shooting with up to 12 GB-worth of cards loaded just using what I currently own. Pretty cool. No more travelling with an external hard drive. I can just use cards.

4. No more carrying and using a "camera condom" (aka Optec Rain Sleeves) if a little rain should happen to be falling, like I had to do this past July a couple of days with my E30...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:53 PM   #12

Dang.. I was kinda hopin' you would make a Christmas present of it to me. Just goes to show ya - never get your hopes up.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote