Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:38 AM   #1
Default [pics] Long-billed Corella & a soaked Laughing Kookaburra

On my way home from my day at Mount Lofty Park in Wonga Park I came across a small flock of Long-billed Corella’s feeding on the ground in a block of vacant land on one of the main streets of my home town. These birds are easily recognisable due to their distinctive long upper bill, as their name suggests. These corellas also have a lighter blue patch of bare skin around their eyes, & splashes of orange-red feathers around their throat & breast, which is sometimes referred to as ‘cut-throat’ for obvious reasons.

The Long-billed Corella uses it’s long & powerful upper bill to dig up the roots & seeds on which it feeds. They are often seen with their beaks & face covered with dirt, as illustrated in this photograph.

Olympus E620
Zuiko 70-300mm lens

Another weekend, another visit to Healsville Sanctuary! And of course at this time of the year (June) the weather was uncooperative as usual.

During a break in the rain I came across this Laughing Kookaburra along one of the paths in a rather isolated part of the Sanctuary. The kookaburra was very close to the path & intently watching potential prey. I was able to get quite close, which was a bonus as I had forgot I had the ISO set to 400 before the rain set in, which resulted in very slow shutter speeds. Luckily I managed a crisp image, even though I was hand holding my gear. As you can see the kookaburra was soaked!

Olympus E620
Zuiko 70-300mm lens

piXelatedEmpire.com | Bird & Wildlife Photography

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:51 AM   #2

Always interesting shots Adam. Nicely taken. The information you give helps understand the bird.

That wet Kookaburra wasn't laughing there...!
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:18 AM   #3

Great capture, Adam...!

I too like the commentary you usually provide...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote