Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:28 AM   #1
Default [pics] Sulphur-crested Cockatoos & Long-billed Corella

Took the new lens & teleconverter out for a walk around the neighbourhood one Saturday afternoon so I could get some more practice with the combo. As I was on my way home late in the afternoon, I heard a couple of Galahs making a bit of a racket. I followed the noise to see what all the fuss was about & found that one of my neighbours in a local court had two makeshift bird feeders in his front yard that had attracted an abundance of bird life! I could hardly believe it there were Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Galahs, Crimson Rosellas, Rainbow Lorikeets & even a Long-billed Corella all perched in a couple of pruned trees in his front yard waiting for their turn at the feeders! Unfortunately the light was fading fast, but I was rapt to discover a place just around the corner where I could visit when time was limited & still see a variety of birds.

July 31st, 2010
Mooroolbark, Victoria, Australia
Olympus E620
Zuiko 50-200mm SWD lens
EC14 Teleconverter

piXelatedEmpire.com | Bird & Wildlife Photography

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:10 AM   #2

Good deal Adam. Nothing beats being able to photograph exotic birds without having to travel far from home!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:59 AM   #3

Steven said, "Nothing beats being able to photograph exotic birds without having to travel far from home"

and I have added, "......and alligators such as Steven does."

Adam, you at last posted a bird I immediately recognize in the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo.

What an amazing array of birdlife there. I grew up in the U.S. upper mid-west farmland (Iowa) and remember back when birds (our common blackbird), literally a cloud of them, would attack stacks of grain, oats in particular. I've read where cockatoos ravage crops in Australia and are often considered pests in the wild.

It is nice that you have the nearby neighborhood feed station ... and your practicing with the new lens combo is working well, thanks again for sharing.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote