Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:50 AM   #1
Default [pics] Spotted Pardalote & Grey Butcherbird

The 100 Acre Reserve is a little bushland sanctuary nestled amongst the surrounding suburbs of Park Orchards. The reserve is a refuge for a number of different bird and wildlife species. I was introduced to this location by a fellow member of BirdingOz, Paul Randall a few months earlier. Although I came away from my first visit to the site empty handed, my second trip proved to be a little more fruitful.

I had my first experience with a very inquisitive pair of little Spotted Pardalotes. I had read on the BirdingOz forums that these birds responded well to short ‘kissing-like’ noises, so I proceeded to kiss the air & within moments one of the pardalotes perched itself on a branch just above where I was standing. After 30 seconds or so the little pardalote took refuge in a nearby shrub, where I managed to take this photo. They don’t sit still for long!

August 8th, 2010
100 Acre Reserve, Park Orchards, Victoria, Australia
Olympus E620
Zuiko 50-200mm SWD lens
EC14 Teleconverter

As I was leaving the reserve I spotted this Grey Butcherbird perched on a branch by the side of the road. The bird was intently watching something, probably potential prey, which allowed me to get relatively close. The Butcherbird is an aggressive predator that prey on small animals, other birds, lizards & insects. They are also known to eat some fruits & seeds.

This was my first close encounter with this species & the first thing I noticed was the rather intimidating beak of this bird. It looks like it could open a can with that bill!

piXelatedEmpire.com | Bird & Wildlife Photography

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:01 AM   #2

Interesting birds and excellent captures. That Pardalote is a cutie.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote