Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:43 PM   #1

Default Images E-30+Sigma 150mm 2.8lens

Hi Ted,

Thanks for asking about my thoughts on the Sigma 150mm f2.8lens. I've totally forgotten that I really haven't said much in the way of this lens. And in deference to Gary, I thought it would be prudent for me to reply to your question in a separate thread.
First off, I think the lens renders very sharp, clean and detailed images. In terms of Image Quality, I think that it is the best Sigma that I've ever used. and I've owned the 18-50mm 2.8 Sigma as well as the 135-400mm Sigma.

Build quality is, in my opinion,extremely good. It is very durable and comes complete with front and rear caps, lens hood and tripod collar. I'd say that build is on par with my 50-200mm ED.

One thing I really like about this lens is it comes with a 3 selection switch to control the lens travel when focusing. I wish my 50-200mm had this feature.

I've yet to have a chance to use this lens in combination with either the EC-14 or theEC-20 telecon. I'll be doing that next good day we have.

But here are a few shots taken with my E-30 and the Sigma 150mm lens and feel free to ask any other questions you may have :

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:48 PM   #2

....that sucker just may be a keeper. These images are indeed sharp, I don't know the lens at all, is it about the physical size of the Oly 12-60 or perhaps larger?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....that sucker just may be a keeper. These images are indeed sharp, I don't know the lens at all, is it about the physical size of the Oly 12-60 or perhaps larger?
Hi Bob,

The lens is actually pretty hefty. Much closer in size and weight to the 50-200mm lens. Here is a quick snapshot of the 3 lenses in discussion with the 50-200mm on the left, the Sigma in the center and the 12-60mm on the right.

By the way, you can clearly see the focus limiter switch i the center of the Sigma body

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:35 PM   #4

Wow! Thanks, Zig. I'm not a prime lens guy but for some reason I've been intrigued by that lens. The IQ is definitely first rate. The photo of the fly is stunning.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:38 PM   #5

NICE Shots Zig! That lens is indeed very sharp! I love my 105 Sigma, this one may make my short list after seeing these!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:08 AM   #6

Definitely one of Sigma's better lenses, and great samples.

Are you packing the 12-60, 50-200 and 150 Sigma at the same time with your camera and other stuff? That'd probably be one too many heavyweight optics for me, even in a backpack.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:38 AM   #7

hey Zig

THose look very nice .. possibly some of the best I've seen from the 150 f2.8. I hadn;t realised it was a bit of a beastie when it comes to size but it defintely looks to be one to put on the next lens list.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
NICE Shots Zig! That lens is indeed very sharp! I love my 105 Sigma, this one may make my short list after seeing these!
Hmmm - because it can give you more distance away from your pets?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:39 AM   #9

Good morning everybody,

Ted,

This is definitely one of the sharper primes that I've used-which includes the 50mm ZD macro.

Here's a link to the SLRGEAR review I read which convinced me to get this (used) lens at Keh.com

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/180/cat/30

Edge,

Thanx.

Greg,

I haven't yet figured out the practical aspects of carrying all these lenses when I go out. I am definitely taking it with me on our trip to Florida because we're driving and packing it wont be an issue. But, I'm gonna have to plan on how I'm actually going to pack a camera bag when I go out on field trips- You're right this array of lenses will break my back.

Hi Harj,

You're right, this is a significantly larger beast than I thought I was expecting.

My purpose in getting this lens was to try and put together a poor man's fast 300mm prime lens by way of the EC-20 teleconverter. I do have the Oly 70-300mm and when fully extended, the aperture starts out at f5.6 which is the same as the Sigma + EC-20 telecon combo. BUT, the Oly really starts to get sharp at f.8 to f.11. By comparison, the Sigma should be much sharper at f5.6 with the EC-20. I know I haven't tried it out fully yet. But at f2.8, without the EC-20, the Sigma is razor sharp @ f2.8.

The fact that it has a focus limiting switch, I think will also be a plus, since I hate when the 70-300mm racks thru the entire focal range when trying to focus.

So, there's my logic.

Zig