Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:20 AM   #1

Default 1/3 ISO stops not a good idea?

Our Oly DSLRs have the option for allowing ISO stops in 1/3 increments. I don't use them so I didn't know that apparently from a noise level that's not a good idea. See here:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

and here:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...ds3_noise.html

Ted

PS: although the thread starts with discussing 4/3 cameras, don't be mislead by that - it's apparently a broad issue across DSLRs.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:36 AM   #2

Sounds like a good thing to test during this evening's hockey game. I've done the ISO-thing a couple of ways. For a while I was using auto ISO and shutter speed priority, then the last game I hard-coded my exposure to manual, using ISO 2000 for more consistent results around the periphery of the rink. If I use the full-stop only option I'll want to limit the ISO ceiling to 3200.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:49 AM   #3

Several mos. ago there was a thread in either General or Newbie discussing this and I think either TCav or JimC, maybe both provided a couple of links on the topic of intermediate ISOs.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:38 PM   #4

Well...sitting here playing with it before the game starts, I can see, if you use auto ISO, you cannot stipulate only whole stops....the E5 just picks what's "right" for the scene whether it is a whole or 1/3 stop increment. Not sure whole stops are going to work in this environment. ISO 3200 it too high to be shooting everything, but ISO 1600 is not fast enough at the shutter speeds I want to use.

Still pondering what I want to do....
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Hmmmm. In the high-ISO hockey shots you've posted, noise is certainly better than acceptable - we were looking for it because that was the subject of your posts. So maybe the benefits of 1/3 stop increments at high ISO are worth it. In the links I posted, folks were mostly upset about the issues at low ISOs.

Ted
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:01 PM   #6

I wound up doing about half the game at ISO 1600 and half at 3200, manually dialing in that setting with the E5 set to only whole stop increments. It was late when I got home and I'm out somewhere else this evening so it'll be a couple of days before I get around to doing much with the files I came home with, but just eyeballing them in ACR after downloading and playing with 1-2 ISO 3200 files before going to bed, I didn't see much that would suggest the whole-stop manual setting is much of an improvement, and a few of the better sequences I caught at ISO 3200 I wish I had had the camera set to 1600, or even the normal ISO 2000!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I wound up doing about half the game at ISO 1600 and half at 3200, manually dialing in that setting with the E5 set to only whole stop increments. It was late when I got home and I'm out somewhere else this evening so it'll be a couple of days before I get around to doing much with the files I came home with, but just eyeballing them in ACR after downloading and playing with 1-2 ISO 3200 files before going to bed, I didn't see much that would suggest the whole-stop manual setting is much of an improvement, and a few of the better sequences I caught at ISO 3200 I wish I had had the camera set to 1600, or even the normal ISO 2000!
Yeah - it does seem to me that based on your previous hockey images, for high ISO the 1/3 stop settings make sense.

Ted