Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:49 AM   #1
Default Long exposures

My Olympus E-520 has a timer and a Bulb function for taking long exposures. When I set it up the shutter opens and then closes again when I take my finger off the shutter button. Does anyone know how to get the shutter to stay open for the selected time? The instruction book doesn't go into any details and my camera class buddies think that I should keep my finger on the button! I might get repetitive strain injury on my trigger finger! I can't find a cable shutter release in the accessories pages. Can anyone help me please?
crystalvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:53 AM   #2

Hi: Your question actually should be moved to the Olympus DSLR forum here at Steve's Digicams. Lot's of knowledgeable Oly user's there.

However, your question can be easily answered.

First, the paper instruction manual that you are using is a very abbreviated one. You need to go to the Olympus website and get the free download of the full E-520 manual in PDF format. It is 148 pages, and offers much more info than the basic manual.

See pages 45-46 and 95. When using manual shooting, you can set the exposure time as long as 60 sec without using bulb. When using bulb, by definition that is when the shutter is held open for as long as the shutter is depressed. However, the E-520 custom settings also allow you to program in a maximum time that the shutter will stay open, even when using bulb.

Anyway, that is a short answer to your question. The Olympus DSLR forum here is full of experienced users who will be glad to help. Don't hesitate to ask them.

Good luck with your shooting.
Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi: Your question actually should be moved to the Olympus DSLR forum here at Steve's Digicams. Lot's of knowledgeable Oly user's there.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:01 PM   #4

The Remote Cable Release (RM-UC1) would be the way to go. Aside from being a wired remote, it has a lock switch that will hold the shutter open until you pull the switch off of 'lock'. Useful for taking pictures of fireworks, and no camera shake. The IR remote can also be used for bulb mode. The RM-1 uses the W ant T buttons to perform the action (see page 59-60 in the manual).
PENusersam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 11:26 PM   #5

I assume you've tried this - but if not...
Will your self-timer work in Bulb mode?
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote