Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:16 PM   #1
Default New Oly patent filed for mirror on DSLR

Less than a month ago, on Feb 11, 2011 Oly filed a US Patent (#7889268B2) for a semi-transparent mirror for DSLR cameras. (Probably similar to some Sony patents, but I'm not an engineer. You can read or download a 22 page pdf copy of it at:

But it seems to me, that it means that Oly is still actively working on full size DSLR technology. Maybe Oly is using more of the cash flow from the micro4/3 cash cow to fund 4/3 research than what we 4/3 users were thinking.

And it's not just the new patent. Even more interesting, is sources who claim that Oly is testing a working prototype of a full 4/3 with a liquid crystal mirror which changes from 50% to 100% transparency. Supposedly it looks similar to an E-330. That makes sense since the camera would not need a prism hump with a non movable fixed liquid crystal mirror. A quote: "When you donít take pictures it uses 50% of the light for the AF-system and 50% for the sensor. When you take the picture it uses the full 100% light source "

The engineers can interpret the possibilities. But it seem possible to me that those are two hints that Oly is not abandoning the full size 4/3 users.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:21 AM   #2

Lets hope so. They need a new dslr to stay on the game In my humble opinion. Al
www.wildaboutfilms.com my olympus shots in video
alexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:44 AM   #3

well it will most likely be a 4/3 but more a slt type camera the a dslr. So it is good for 4/3 users, but it is not a dslr if that is what they are planning. And that would go along with what oly said that they were moving away from the reflex mirror development.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:06 AM   #4

Hi Steve

Thanks for that post .. intresting that 43rumours had this to say as well :

according to them, Oly's working on the following Ft camera . It'd be great if its too but I'm not holding my breathe.

- Sensor Shift with Rotation
- Larger Multi-Format Sensor (think GH2)
- New Battery Grip with Audio & Video I/O
- Single Shot HDR Capability
- Same Video Ability as GH1

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote