Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:38 PM   #1
Default Some more pics from the London Olympic stadium

A few pics from today .. I took bully our dog out with me for a long 2.5 hour walk, and ventured down to the marshes and then upto the Olympic stadium village with the E3 +14-54. This parts of the city that I've not visited ever, so it was a first.. like being a tourist. All pics converted from RAW using LR3.

Sometimes I think its a pain in the butt taking a 30lb dog and a camera out but today having him a round was invaluable. I knew I was being watched by the thousands of camera's that line the permiter of the site (theres at least two cameras every 20 yards along the entire length of the site!) . Once I'd gotten close to the main stadium itslef (I took 2 shots of it) and having decided there wasn;t any chance of getting a better shot and turned for home, I'm promptly followed by 2 security guards who were close to stop me taking a pic of some graffit . If I was on my own I know they would have stopped me as I could hear the conversation on their walkie talkies loud and clear and orders from whoever was checking the CCTV camera. I dread to think how bad this place will be once the games have actually started.... you could say its already gone to the dogs!

I've started to underexpose a bit again for the landscape shots and then lifting the shadows to stop blowing out the highlights. LR/ACR is good at recovering a fair amount from the highlights : I took a pic in the marshes and I'd nailed the exposure but the clouds in the sky were totally blown, so I retook the shot underexposing by 1/3 ev to see what I could do when I got home. With the first pic, there was simply noway that LR could recover the highlights but the second.. lifting the shadows was much, much better and eth details of the clouds in the sky was still there .

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 9, 2011 at 6:53 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:33 PM   #2

Good series, Harjtt. I notice you managed to pick out the bird in the canoe! heheheheh There are some things to be said for consistency! Where is this stadium being constructed in relation to London?
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:04 PM   #3

HEy Gary

Well. u know when ur used to taking pics of models in studio its pretty hard not to get in to the flow of things!
I was having a pretty hard time keeping hold of bully and trying to take a shot when I could. He's not dog friendly at all, so you have to be on guard at all times and keep him under control, so I didn;t realise their was a bird in the canoe until I took that shot.

The Olympic park, is in the East of London and most of that part is fairly run down, mostly working class folks and the site itself used to be all industrial buildings and warehouses until it got picked for the Olympics. They then did a compulsory pruchase order and knocked most if not all of the buildings down.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:19 PM   #4

Looks like a beautiful day to be out. The stadium is progessing, too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:38 PM   #5

Beautiful pictures, nice sunny day and looks very green there.

In New York we steel have pale grass and no leaves on the trees yet but the weather is much better now.

You mentioned the police and surveillance cameras... it is a lot of resistance against the photographers in London?, I always have with me the a copy of the "Photographers Rights" just in case, after 9-11 everybody is a suspect specially if you have a camera with big lens.

Have a great day Harj.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:53 AM   #6

Nice shots Harj, I believe I see the moon in the 5th shot : ) Ever since 9/11 it's put a crimp on photographers when taking pics near buildings or important places. It's to bad we have to suffer because there are so many idiots in the world today. Good shots
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:34 PM   #7

I personally liked the second picture, awesome!
peru_shyam is offline   Reply With Quote