Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:17 PM   #11

Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....I always learn from this group. I do use my on-camera flash quite often but usually I just pop it and pop it & never have thought of weakening it.

Thanks Steven and that's a nice photo too.
You're welcome Bob. I always keep my default menu setting for the flash to 1/4 power. I find that to be the most useful setting for most fill flash situations; makes it quick to just pop up the flash and fill out the shadows without even looking at the menu. And it is easy to quickly change up, to full power, or down to 1/16 for a weak flash. If I had an FL-50 I'm sure I would use it a lot, but so far, I haven't been able to justify the cost for the kind of picture that I take.

I also learn a lot of things from this forum, so I'm glad when I can contribute a little back.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:39 PM   #12

My big flash gun is a ProMaster 5750DX which plays @TTL on all my Olympus cameras. I bought it shortly after getting the E-300 nearly 6-yrs now. At the time I found it at 125$ including the Olympus module at the time. Olympus made a change in the flash system with the E-3 and I upgraded the flash module for it. I have a FL-36 which I bought with my C-7070WZ, usually I use it with any of my cameras, but the ProMaster is/was a good alternative to the FL-50 for me. It too was a recommend by Andres Wrotniak back then.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:58 AM   #13

Bob, I think you made a good choice. To me, Oly flash units have always been overpriced even considering the automatic zooming when lenses zoom. I paid a fortune for the FL-40 for the E20, which wouldn't have been so bad except that the only subsequent camera it was fully functional with, was the E1. After the E500 came out the value of the FL-40 dropped like a stone. Like an old car that still runs well, its not worth selling because it's worth more to you, than anyone will pay for it.

[End of rant. ]

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote