Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Default Hurt Hawk

Interesting morning, I took the atv out back to see if there were any interesting critters and kept hearing this hawk screeching. I saw him in the top of a dead tree and took a couple shots. Another one was back in the woods making a lot of noise so I thought must be a nest in there. So I'm walking around in the woods with my head tipped back trying to see where the nest is, I stop and turn around facing the field and less than 5 or 6 feet from me at eye level is a full grown redtail looking right at me eye level. Scared the crap out of me and I took 5 or 6 very quick steps backwards. I took a few shots, very dark in the woods, I had to use shadow adj, but you can see it looks like his or her leg is hurt. Really took me by surprise.
Attached Images
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:14 PM   #2

Wow! great captures, Eric.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:45 PM   #3

I can imagine how startled you were and the hawk may have been just as so. I love nature and the facts of it. One never knows what may be at the next turn in the trail.

You reacted nicely to capture the images here, good job.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:18 PM   #4

I was wondering if it was hurt or had a deformed leg...I had been seeing a lot more birds with those over the years. Or possibly some jack... tried to shoot him with a pellet gun...
Good photos of him. Hope he heals.
Recently a couple surprised a grizzly and her cubs...he didn't survive. So be careful out there with bears and mountain lions...though, in truth, less worried about them than am about the two legged variety.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote