Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:14 AM   #1
Default Lens Focusing Problems with E-500

I'm just wondering if anybody has any ideas... I'm running the 14-45mm Olympus lens that came with my camera. Recently it's been having some issues with the AF function, which were solved by removing and then re-installing the lens.

But today it just decided to stop working entirely. Sometimes it either doesn't try to focus at all, while at other times it makes a click-click-click sound but can't seem to focus. Has the lens broken?

The reason I say that is when I install my Olympus 40-150mm zoom lens it seems to be able to focus just fine. However that lens doesn't seem to be able to focus close-up.

Reading other threads this focusing issue seems to be a particular problem with this model of camera. I haven't tried blowing out the dust from the mirror but I did clean the contacts on the lens with an eraser but it didn't make any difference. Any ideas short of getting a new lens?
bigineurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:29 AM   #2

Considering the age of the camera there's a possibility that there's some dust on the focus sensor (and the SSWF feature can't do anything about it). If you click the following image you will see where the focus sensor is located, and why it's prone to collecting dust:

I bought my E-330 "open box" and the idiots in the store had it sitting on the shelf without a lens or body cap...I had focusing issues the first time I used the camera, until I did the following procedure:

Note, if you follow these instructions and ruin your camera, it's not my responsibility...if you are uncomfortable with doing this take your camera to a shop who knows what they are doing:

As part of my camera care routine every few months (or when I have a problem) I will take a manual blower (do NOT use canned air, personally I use a Giottos "Rocket Blower"), remove the lens, point the camera's lens opening down so that the dust will fall out of the mirror box, put the nozzle inside the mirror box pointing it to where the focus sensor is located (being CAREFUL around the mirror), and GENTLY SQUEEZE the blower...give it a few seconds for the dust to fall out of the mirror box and try the camera. If there's still a substance like pollen on the focus sensor then it may require a manual cleaning with a sensor swab.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:15 AM   #3

Mike, I've seen that drawing before but forgot where it was - thanks for posting it. The one thing I always wondered about is, how can the SSWF be in front of the sensor? Is it transparent? That doesn't make sense to me - I thought the sensor was mounted on the SSWF.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:17 PM   #4

The SSWF is a clear, round membrane in front of the sensor.

In the following image in the lower right corner you'll see the SSWF filter on its own with its circuit attached, and in the upper left of the image you can see the SSWF attached to the mounting for the sensor. The blue you see is the "low pass filter" or "hot mirror" that blocks the majority of infrared light that would otherwise be captured by the sensor.

The following video explains it all:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote