Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:01 PM   #1
Default There was a 4th airplane in the 9/11 attack

as you know, although it doesn't get much attention. I was driving back from Chicago and the Shanksville, PA crash site is near the PA turnpike so I stopped to see the progress on the Flight 93 National Memorial. If you're interested, here is a short photographic tour.

The "Visitor Shelter" serves as the entrance pavilion - the Visitor Center itself is planned for future construction.

Then there is a long walkway to the crash site. Presumably this very, very long path is intended to help visitors quiet their minds and get into the mood of the site.

The walkway ends at a memorial wall. The crash site is to the left, out of view in this photo.

In the above photo note the man with white pants and a blue top. He is looking through a break in the memorial wall (with a view of the crash site marker, sorta):

The crash site is marked with a memorial rock (I'm not making this up):

The memorial wall contains inscriptions of the names of the crew and passengers of Flight 93 (similar to the Vietnam War Memorial on the National Mall). One of the passengers was from Germany and another was from Japan.

There is a lot more future construction planned. Which is good - right now many of the visitors, and I, felt that the Memorial feels way too understated considering the sacrifice they made to save the US Capitol building. It was the winning design from a competition that drew 1,100 proposals. I can't help but wish I could see some of the other designs...

Near the Shanksville, Pennsylvania crash site there is a Flight 93 Memorial Chapel. This Chapel was created with private donations and is not affiliated with the federal Flight 93 National Memorial.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:31 PM   #2

Pretty interesting, Ted. Especially, the "memorial rock". Wonder whose brainchild that was. I think a lot of people forget about planes 3 & 4.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:45 PM   #3

Nice pictures Ted and thank you for the tour.

Looks you have some fall colors already there, I'm planning to shoot some bridges this season in PA and I think I will have to do that soon.

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:53 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing those.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote