Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:10 AM   #11

Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Ken, thank you for the explanation and sorry for my late reply.

I usually over or under expose my pictures according with the situation:

- If the subject is against a light background, for example when you shoot a bird in fly I increase the exposure by 1 1/2 - 2 stops.

- If the subject is against a dark background, for example an owl sitting on the branches of a dark tree I reduce the exposure by 1 1/2 - 2 stops.

- If the subject is bright, for example a wedding dress, snow or an animal with white fur I increase the exposure to 2-2 1/2 stops.

- If the subject is dark, like a black car, people dressing black clothing I reduce the exposure by 2- 2 1/2 stops.

The best way to understand exposure is practice and shoot the same scene with different settings and exposures and you will find your balance according with the lens you are using.

I hope this helps, if you have questions please let me know.

Sorry I came into this discussion late.

Lordje, what the camera manuals don't tell you is that the exposure system is set up on the assumption that the photos you will take, are in "normal" daylight or flash conditions where everything is reflecting light like an 18% gray card does.

So if you have a very bright scene like sunlit snow, it darkens the exposure trying to make it like a gray card. If you have a dark scene like a night shot it lightens the exposure, again trying to make it like - you guessed it - a gray card. This is not a failure of the metering system. The system is just acting well to properly expose a "typically lit" scene, which is a good idea most but not all of the time. So that's what's behind what Marcelo says. It seems counter-intuitive but increase the exposure in a very bright scene and decrease the exposure in a very dark scene. This overcomes the camera's desire to make those scenes "typical" when they're not.

Hope this makes sense.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:29 AM   #12

Thank you very much Marcello and Ted for both of your very detailed info.
I will try some things out and the info that has been given helps me a lot.

Thank you very much !!!!
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote