Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 15, 2012, 3:41 AM   #1
Default Rural peace

Am very new to forum and wanted to contribute by posting a pic or two.

Taken with E-3 and 50-200mm SWD on a very cold and sunny morning here in Canberra Australia, had a shot which I liked so I did some work in Picasa with it, have posted both, would welcome any comments as I am reasonably new to digital, having been something of a hold out with a OM system until very recently, have to admit I love my new to me E-3 and the lens.

Thank you in advance for looking.

Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2012, 3:48 AM   #2

I have posted these at a reasonably small size, should they be larger?, was unsure as to acceptable limits for all concerned.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:22 AM   #3

Looks much better cropped.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 7:15 AM   #4

That looks like a very good photo. I agree that the cropped version is better, and I would enjoy it more if it was larger.

Welcome to this forum!

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 7:36 AM   #5

I think you should post larger as it's very difficult to pick up detail (for me) at this size. I normally post at 950 on the long side but 800 would work.

The cropped version is better, however, I think you went a bit too far with it. For me, the bottom of the photo would have looked a little better just below the edge of the first shadow line. Oh, and no frame. Way to distracting.

Welcome to Steve's and the world of digital photography! That's one heckuva combination you have there. It would appear you've got the hang of it already.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; May 15, 2012 at 7:38 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 9:33 AM   #6

Hi Leeston: I like the cropped version, also agree that it should be posted at a larger size.

the E-3 and the 50-200mm is a great combination. The E-3 has so many options buried in its menus, that it is good advice to do a lot of reading with the camera in hand and spend time getting familiar with it. The Wrotniak site is a definite help.

Welcome to the forum, lots of good guys here who are all knowledgeable. All are helpful and opinionated, but we never take ourselves too seriously, and there are no meanies among the regulars here. (We are however, used to kidding each other a lot.)

Last edited by Steven R; May 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7

Welcome to this forum Leeston.
I'm not so in for cropping pictures but somewhere I the cropped version looks better indeed. But I do like the original version also. It is nice shot you made.
The E-3 is very good body and fun working with. The 50-200 is very good lens also.
Like the others say Wrotniak is a very good site for learning and also it is nice to do customize settings like mentioned there, in what you do not agree you simply don't do.
But while following that guide you will learn a lot extra.
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 11:00 AM   #8

Hey mate, I like the mood you've caught there, it certainly works with the title.

It's does need to be bigger for effect, at least 800 long side. the crop should be just below the shadows. Then like the man said, the frame, far to heavy. You could try just a thin line...stops the picture escaping..

The resident Pommie..!
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 4:15 PM   #9

G'day Mate

Welcome to Steve's > there's lots of fellow 'togs here who all enjoy the same love of photography as you do
And I know Canberra well > lived in Weston Creek for 40 years!!!

My take on your image is shown below >

I would take a bit off the top [& maybe clone out the power poles / lines] and show a bit more ground below to give the horses a tad more space

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 2:51 AM   #10

Thank to all who posted their kind thoughts above.

i have re-sized and re-cropped, i was never that keen on the border, it was more a case of trying some of the available features in Picasa.

looking forward to sharing pictures etc with you all as I progress.