Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 30, 2012, 3:56 PM   #1
Default BUPA London 10000m 2012 - PART 2 RIF's

Back in 2008 when I got the E3 I stumbled upon a bike race in town and tried to see whether i could use the E3+25-100f2 for taking sporting shots. Needless to say at the time, my lack of experience and the E3's AF drove me nuts and I gave up and left the cyclists alone. So a few weeks back I was looking for pics that there were worth putting through LR4 and I came across those same pics and surpsingly I found at least 40% of the pics were actually in focus - the composition was crap but the actually cyclists were properly infocus. So on Sunday I wanted to see whether it was just a fluke or whether after nearly 4 years it was possible to get some action shots with the E3+35-100F2 without being driven nuts.

My first sports shoot:

E3 + 35-100f2, single shots (no burst mode), a combination of SAF/CAF, single AF or Diamond - IS is off. ISO200-400, F6.3-7.1 @ 1/500-1/700s. RAw to Jpeg via LR4

1. My compisition's crap but its in focus and the runners when they kicked off took me by surpise.

1. Going through the pics, I was surpised to find that 50% of them were in focus and that at least another 2-3% were not to far off.
2. My positioning wasnt brillant but I did have a good view of the lead runners on their approach to the finish line and annoyingly everyone one of thos pics were OOF - the pro atheletes were just too fast, even for SAF and I dont think the shadows from the trees helped. Good thing I wasn;t a paid sports tog!
3. The AF locked onto the spectators on the opposite side of the road esp when used in CAF and Diamond pattern, so after a while I stopped using it.
4. Tracking and panning just doesnt seem to cut it with SAF/CA-F but thats been the case from the outset with the E3.

I'm looking forward to the next 10k run which is in 6 weeks and will see whether its possible to improve the hit rate and my positioning.

Last edited by HarjTT; May 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2012, 4:05 PM   #2

I like the shots. Most of those folks look a lot better after a 10K run than I would.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 4:52 PM   #3

I also like the shots and they are made very well.
It is not easy to make action shots, that is something I did discover last weekend.
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 4:55 PM   #4

Nice captures. You managed to emphasize the human element of the event, which is something that you are very good at doing.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Nice pictures Harj, very sharp, the 35-100 is a fine lens.

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote