Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:52 AM   #1
Default 14-36 F2 review

Stumbled across a review of the 14-35F2.. Ted's had it for a number of years but this is the first field review of the lens thats fairly detailed. Theres a comparison with the 24-70 F2.8 Nikkor and according to the review theres not much in it between the two - the F2 is 200 USD more expensive. What got me was the F2 is 900g while the Nikkor is 950, so theire basically the same size and weight.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:25 AM   #2

Very interesting review, Harj. I don't feel he does that lens justice when he says "the 14-35 is a great lens".

He refers to the old issue about its focusing in low light, then says it's better than the 12-60 and 50-200SWD. Huh? One of the commentors summed up my experience: "I did use the 14-35 with my E-5 recently shooting a baptism in a large church in very dim light. Even the priest told me before hand that you better have a good camera to shoot in here especially when no flash is allowed. I shot in raw with default iso of 1600 and aperture between 2.0 and 4.0 ( although most pictures were at 2.0 because of such poor lighting) Of the 500 shoots I took focus was dead on 98% of the time and had sluggish focus only 3 times."

If I'm going to do a lot of walking and shooting indoors I look at that lens thinking it's big and heavy and maybe I should take something lighter, then I think about the photos it gets me and I grab it.

Thanks for posting it.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:44 PM   #3

That is a good review and also one of the dream lenses.
As standard users a wanting to get but the price far from budget.
I have a few lenses on my list that I would want: 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 50mm F2.0 (better then the Sigma 50mm I suppose) and the EC20.
So when I ever see one of these at very good price (on Ebay for example) then I will ever be able to get them , ever

Still for if someone can get the bang for buying this lens the yes go for it it will please you and give you wonderful pictures in lower light situations and normal situations.
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote