Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:09 PM   #1

Default London Cable cars....

If you didnt know.. they built a cable car across the Thames just in time for the Olympics but I've only just got around to it. Its sponsored by Emirates Airlines.. and when you board they try to give you that airline feeling!

E3 + 35-100F2

1. Terminal at the Royal Docks

2. Shadows

3. The O2

5. Oneil's - Water skiing training ..

There's a few more pics in the gallery:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photograph...6591838_q53FjP
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:37 PM   #2

Excellent series, Harj. Enjoyed looking at your shots. Very interesting, and well photographed. All the focus seems spot-on. Are you still having any focus issues with the E-3??
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:24 PM   #3

I didn't know that..!!! Thanks for showing it/them. Next time over I'll have to try a gondola ride. Good series of shots but the B&W 'Shadows' is excellent.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:55 PM   #4

Hi Guys

Ken.. its unusual but nice to have a cable car setup in the city .. the last time I went on one was years ago as a school kid at Thorpe Park or something like that. Today was supposed to be the last nice day for the next few weeks so I thought I'd go and make the most of it. Its definitely worth going on although I wish it lasted longer than the 11+mins.

Steve, the E3's still having issues .. had a number of pics that simply werent in focus but the FA was showing a focus lock.

I still don't get the AF .. how can it lock focus and nail it when the object is moving away from you but when its coming towards you always be OOF?? I'm just curious as to why the OLY AF is only consistently good with objects moving away but totally crap when they come towards you . There was a wedding shoot going on there so I stepped back and to one side and took a few snaps as the happy couple were walking forwards and having their pics taken .. all of them were OOF. Now with the water border.. 90% of the pics of her coming to me were OOF... the other 10% were ok but nothing to write home about.

Harj

PS... Looks like they have a trainign school for watre boarders and skiers so I'm gonna pull the trigger on the EC14.. would come in real handy for that. The 150F2 would be even better !

Last edited by HarjTT; Nov 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:24 PM   #5

Ummmmm, is it just on moving subjects, or on both moving and fixed? Do you see a big difference between using the F-AF or the C-FA? It seems like the camera needs to looked at by Oly. I've not had any such focus problems with my E-3, even when shooting fast moving aircraft.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:40 AM   #6

Harj,

Very nice pictures and info.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:33 AM   #7

I enjoyed the photos, Harj. Thanks for posting them.

Do commuters use the cable car, or is it mostly for tourists? Also, it looks like a good vantage point for photos of London - have you tried that?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:48 PM   #8

Like the others said very enjoyable pictures.
Nice that they make that in a city.
You would expect this to be in a ski resort.
Did you also try out a ride?

Sad to hear you still having troubles with focussing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:22 PM   #9

Steve... the AF issues are static and when trying to tackle any pics of a head on subject moving towards you. I'm more concerned about the static objects as I've always known that the AF with anything that's moving is suspect so you can at least plan for that where as the static objects not getting into focus thats something new.

Its a nice touch having a cable car and it was full all day Sunday - I cant remember there being a spell where there were no queues to go on for at least 3-4 hours. I did get to go o the cable car... pic 4 was from inside the cabin about 2 mins into the wee trip.

Ted, the vantage point is definietly good as you get a good view of the surrounding area including the Olympic stadium but the sun was setting and there was too much movement in the cab for me to be able to take a decent shot with the beastie. I'm planning on going again, so next time I'll be using the 14-54 so hopefully I can get some better shots of what its like as you cross the Thames and land in a car park... and then back again.

Last edited by HarjTT; Nov 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:12 PM   #10

Just a great presentation Harj and I did not know of the cable car either. I did watch many hours of the Olympics but I do not recall ever hearing about that project.

I am looking forward to th images you will make with the 14-54. This past summer I joined my 14-54 & EC20 on the E-P3, it is a really good combination which I've used a few times. Maybe you will give yours a try using the EC-14.

Thanks for always an enjoyable set.

Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote