Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:36 AM   #1

Default Can you help me?

Hi i have an Olympus E-450 and i'm looking to buy my first lense, i have the standard one that comes with it, but i'm after something i bit more now.

I'm after a zoom lense that will give me a good 40-50ft zoom, problem is i don't know anything about them, what the difference between them are or which ones fit my cam :/

I primarily shoot animals and nature and would like to be able to get some good close up clear shots of say, birds up the garden, or dogs in the rings/arena at Crufts that are often stood just that bit too far away for my standard lense that does not zoom in very much at all.

Can anyone recommend a nice lense that could do this for me? pref something that is priced at or below 200 RRP. as i'm on a budget, will most likely look for second hand if i can.

Thanks in advance.
x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:43 AM   #2

Not sure exactly how much you are willing to spend but the lens which is on my camera the most is the 50-200 Zoom. It is a little pricey, but by far one of the best lenses that Olympus makes for the 4/3! Add the EC-14 tele-extender and you get even more reach and can easily be handheld.

Another one to consider which is much more reasonably priced is the 70-300. It is a slower lens than the 50-200, but on a bright sunny day is sharp as a tack and also has some macro capabilities which is nice.

Good Luck in your search. I have both of the above lenses and would not think of giving either one up.

Enjoy,

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3

Hi Sarah: I agree with Jim's advice. I also own both the 50-200 and the 70-300. The 50-200 is the better lens, but it is more expensive than the 70-300 and heavier to carry around.

The only points that I would add is to consider buying used. There are various sources like KEH (http://www.keh.com/) and B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/).

Another point to keep in mind, is that the E-450 does not have Image Stabilization, so you will need to up your ISO in order to increase your shutter speed when using these lens.

Good luck, and keep us advised on your lens shopping.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:03 PM   #4

I would second the 70-300mm, it is on sale right now and it is a sharp lens. Further because it is CDAF compatible you can use it on an Olympus (or Panasonic) micro four thirds camera with an adapter which will most likely be your only option for a future upgrade*. The 50-200 is a better lens for sure but it is not CDAF compatible and will not be as flexible for future camera upgrades.

Further the 50-200 is around $1000 whereas the 70-300mm is on sale for $299 right now. I own the 70-300mm and it is a great lens as long as the light is bright enough as Wigpro says.

* there may be an E-7 someday but the more entry level cameras like the E-450 you have are now replaced in the Olympus line by micro four thirds cameras like the E-PL5 or E-PM2 and to some extent the OM-D EM-5.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:20 PM   #5

Ok thank you, so am i looking for a certain make or something? because when i type in 50-200 Zoom on ebay, there are loads coming up for under 200 quid buy it now, yet you say its priced at around 1000 dollars right now ?? this can't be right?

Sorry, you need to speak to me like a child, i'm not very bright
x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:32 PM   #6

All the lenses being recommended are made by Olympus
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Sarah x View Post
Ok thank you, so am i looking for a certain make or something? because when i type in 50-200 Zoom on ebay, there are loads coming up for under 200 quid buy it now, yet you say its priced at around 1000 dollars right now ?? this can't be right?

Sorry, you need to speak to me like a child, i'm not very bright
The older Mk 1 model 50-200mm is currently selling at KEH for $569. (And the older Mk 1 is compatible with the new Pen cameras.) Also, keep in mind that Olympus lens are named "Zuiko", so when you are looking at a list of lens, for it to be a genuine Olympus, it is labeled Zuiko.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
The older Mk 1 model 50-200mm is currently selling at KEH for $569. (And the older Mk 1 is compatible with the new Pen cameras.) Also, keep in mind that Olympus lens are named "Zuiko", so when you are looking at a list of lens, for it to be a genuine Olympus, it is labeled Zuiko.
I'm not so sure about the Mk 1 50-200mm, every list I have been able to find doesn't list either of the 50-200mm lenses as CDAF compatible

http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2010/03...atability.html
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:55 PM   #9

The 50-200 Mk 1 lens is used frequently by the m4/3 users over at fourthirdsphoto.com, and is highly liked on a Pen. However, they all agree that for m4/3 Pens, the newer 50-200 SWD Mk II lens does not work as well focusing as the non-SWD Mk I on Pen cameras. However, Sarah's current camera is the old E-450 and both lens discussed are designed for use on all E series 4/3 cameras. An advantage for Sarah is the older 50-200 will work fine on her camera, and is cheaper to buy than the newer MK II. Optically they are both the same. The 50-200 is a better lens than any of the m4/3 lens made for Pens.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:03 PM   #10

Steven R
Okay - thanks for that information. I am more curious because as you say the 50-200 is better than the current m43 offerings of the same focal length, I like to know my options and I thought that wasn't an option.

Sarah,
As Steven points out much of this may be lost on you as we are talking about compatibility with the newer cameras from Olympus.

Your current camera can use the Zuiko 50-200 MK1/MK2 or the Zuiko 70-300 equally well.

I am just trying to make the point that your next camera (if you stay with Olympus) most likely won't be compatible with the same lenses. For me a lens collection is something you build with an eye towards the future, especially when most of the lenses cost more than the camera body, for that reason I recommend against anything that isn't listed as fully CDAF compatible.