Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:29 AM   #11

Steven R

I think you are correct in looking back to that original goal of smaller bodies. Having collected a few manual focus lenses by buying old film lots I've had the chance to have a few classic SLRs in my hands from the Konica Autoreflex, Olympus OM and Pentax Spotmatic lines, these cameras are all about the same size and all really nice examples of aesthetically pleasing proportions and construction. If you look at cameras just prior to the introduction of LCD screens and other electronic components the form was pretty well settled. It was only with first the introduction of LCD screens for information and programming (I had a Canon T-70 around this time), electronic winders and auto focus that size started to increase. When things went digital size increased yet again to the point we are now the standard DSLR size people have grown accustomed to, a size they have learned to accept because it needed to be that size to have an OVF, a mirror, a sensor, and a processor.

I for one applaud Olympus returning to the smaller form factor that was settled on in the late 70s.
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote