Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,200
Default A little more info on the new Oly coming at the end of this year

Per the European site Open Photo News, a talk with the product manager of Olympus France gave some more hints of the new camera coming in late 2013.

"...In 2013, the standard 4/3, started with the professional SLR Olympus E-1, will celebrate its 10th anniversary. Pause - but not abandoned, and according to numerous statements of Olympus in this sense - with the development of the Micro 4/3, 4/3 could experience a new life with a new Olympus housing will end in 2013 and accept Mount lenses Micro 4/3 on the one hand but will also fully exploit the performance goals 4/3 on the other. Indeed, after the declarations of Olympus Spain on the last progeny of reflex 4/3 to date, the E-5 (see HERE ), the Product Manager responsible for France Olympus SLR and hybrid lines of the brand M . Arnaud Gaucher, we made the following confirmations:
.."By end of 2013, Olympus will unveil a new camera that will fully exploit the exceptional performance of optical 4/3.
- This new camera will have the most advanced digital technology on the market.
- Olympus will continue to expand its range optical mount Micro 4/3. "

The full Google translation can be found here:
http://translate.google.com/translat...ur-fin-2013%2F


It will be interesting to see what the end product actually looks like. The thing that I found most interesting is the statement that the new camera will have the most advanced digital technology on the market.
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 5,821
Default

I would imagine this is gonna be a micro four-thirds body with dual phase and contrast detection autofocus others have already developed and an electronic finder. The wording certainly hints the body is going to be much closer to the E-M5 in design than the E-5, maybe with some new matched converter that will allow the fast AF to be retained when using the four-thirds lenses. You cannot use or adapt a micro four-thirds lens to a four-thirds body, so there will still have to be some sort of converter unit for the four-thirds lenses if the body will be able to use either type lens.

If the E-M5 had the dual type AF system (with phase-detection AF), coupled with the accessory battery pack and vertical release, it would have been more than easy enough to use with most of the four-thirds line. Certainly the ones the vast majority of users can afford.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You cannot use or adapt a micro four-thirds lens to a four-thirds body
Well you could, but you'd have to have a lens in the adapter and I doubt Oly would want to do that. OTOH it's not like there's a bunch of SHG-quality 43 lenses so a good lens in an adapter isn't impossible. Very unlikely though.
__________________
Ted

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jan 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 5,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well you could, but you'd have to have a lens in the adapter and I doubt Oly would want to do that. OTOH it's not like there's a bunch of SHG-quality 43 lenses so a good lens in an adapter isn't impossible. Very unlikely though.
It would have to be more like the lens inside the body. It's already impossible at the body mount to use a micro lens on one of the four-thirds cameras so using any type of adapter would be impossible. The only practical solution is to use a micro body and develop and adapter for the four-thirds lenses.

The future growth of the Olympus brand is in the micro line, not four-thirds. This is simply a fix to give current users of the four-thirds lenses a body with the new technology. Eventually there will be an end-game for those lenses. The Olympus reps at Arlington Camera a few weeks ago said fast zooms are next in the development of their micro system. Maybe not 95-250mm f2.8's or 35-100mm f2's, but it's not like those lenses created a world-wide demand for the brand and popularity when they were the only option either, even if they did sell to some number of users, which obviously they did. If the micro system sees something on the level of the 12-60mm f2.8-4 or 50-200mm f2.8-3.5, combined with the outstanding prime optics they now have that we never saw in the DSLR system, most Olympus users will be better off than they ever were.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It would have to be more like the lens inside the body. It's already impossible at the body mount to use a micro lens on one of the four-thirds cameras so using any type of adapter would be impossible. The only practical solution is to use a micro body and develop and adapter for the four-thirds lenses.
Greg, it's not impossible. The problem with a 43 lens on a 43 body is that the lens focuses too close - the sensor is too far away. That can be fixed with a lens in an adapter, that lengthens the focal length of the 43 lens. I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that it's definitely possible. It's that same issue as using a Canon FD mount lens on a 43 body - adapters with a correcting lens have been done. But with mediocre success. I don't think Oly would do this but you never know.

Edit: This is no different conceptually than the Oly EC-14 or EC-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The future growth of the Olympus brand is in the micro line, not four-thirds. This is simply a fix to give current users of the four-thirds lenses a body with the new technology. Eventually there will be an end-game for those lenses. The Olympus reps at Arlington Camera a few weeks ago said fast zooms are next in the development of their micro system. Maybe not 95-250mm f2.8's or 35-100mm f2's, but it's not like those lenses created a world-wide demand for the brand and popularity when they were the only option either, even if they did sell to some number of users, which obviously they did. If the micro system sees something on the level of the 12-60mm f2.8-4 or 50-200mm f2.8-3.5, combined with the outstanding prime optics they now have that we never saw in the DSLR system, most Olympus users will be better off than they ever were.
Agreed. Frankly, as sensors have gotten better I'd prefer that my 35-100 f/2 or 14-35 f/2 were f/2.8's, to get a smaller size and weight.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jan 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 5,821
Default

Yes, my thoughts were only considering leaving all of the lenses, micro and four-thirds, capturing their same field of view, not altering with additional optics. With the coded corrections those lenses already require in processing, just imagine the nightmare something like a converter with added optics would create, not only for Olympus, but companies like Adobe that include those coded corrections in their software.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,418
Default

Personally, I agree with Greg's assessment that what were going to see is an M43 based body but what shape, size or form is anyone's guess. Right now I'd be really surprised if an E-7 actually turns out to be a true FT cam.

What really annoys the crap out of me is the continuing "pigs ear" of a marketing strategy by Oly of these never ending interviews. That must have been the 4th or 5th and each is just more misinformation and totally lacking in clarity. You'd think the first 2-3 such interviews would be kind of ok .. but 5 ? I pretty much find it insulting to all of those that have spent thousands on lenses and the system that they (oly) can;t get their act together and have the decency just make a clear statement on the E-System and FT.... say it as it is .. the E system is no more.

The shame is I think any new E came is too little and too late for existing shooters... just look at the various forums and the majority of FT users have moved on whether to m43 or one of the other systems. Theyre not going to get those shooters back again no matter how good the next cam is going to be and they need to stop charging extra for lens hoods and black special editions.

Last edited by HarjTT; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,065
Default

"the most advanced digital technology on the market"

gezus it would want to have...
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 1,639
Default

The mirror and the ovf are dead, long live the 4/3 glass on a new pdAF compatible body
__________________
in my bag: e-m1 and three 4/3 Zuikos 9-18, 14-54, 70-300
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Personally, I agree with Greg's assessment that what were going to see is an M43 based body but what shape, size or form is anyone's guess. Right now I'd be really surprised if an E-7 actually turns out to be a true FT cam.

What really annoys the crap out of me is the continuing "pigs ear" of a marketing strategy by Oly of these never ending interviews. That must have been the 4th or 5th and each is just more misinformation and totally lacking in clarity. You'd think the first 2-3 such interviews would be kind of ok .. but 5 ? I pretty much find it insulting to all of those that have spent thousands on lenses and the system that they (oly) can;t get their act together and have the decency just make a clear statement on the E-System and FT.... say it as it is .. the E system is no more.

The shame is I think any new E came is too little and too late for existing shooters... just look at the various forums and the majority of FT users have moved on whether to m43 or one of the other systems. Theyre not going to get those shooters back again no matter how good the next cam is going to be and they need to stop charging extra for lens hoods and black special editions.

I think that what many of our users, myself included, are forgetting is all of the original stated goals of the four third standard. One of the initial stated objects of the four thirds system was the development of a more compact body producing better images. If you go back at look at the original goals of the 4/3 standard, the trends should be toward the compactness of the body. I think that Oly probably drifted away from that a little bit with the E-3 and E-5. So it would seem that the next camera may well turn more in the direction of the smaller body.
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/index.html
...."The core design concept of the Four Thirds system is to facilitate optimization of the size, performance, and extendibility of digital cameras and lenses."

....Compact design maximizes camera mobility"

From my old 35mm days, one of the things that I remember is how much the smaller body size of the OM-2 appealed to me over the big Nikon size I had used for a while. The new OMD-EM5 returned very closely to the old OM size. I would guess that the next camera will be closer to the EM5 size and will use both 4/3 and m4/3 lens. And will be well received.
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
0
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2