Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Default Another unusual bird

The Grumman OV-1 Mohawk was used as an observation/reconnaissance aircraft from the early 1960s until final retirement in 1996. I'm not sure how many are still flying, but it is definitely not a common sight.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:34 PM   #2

Nice shot Steven, I used to have these little toy bombs when I was a kid that had a spring loaded tip and you put in some caps and threw it in the air to land on concrete or a hard surface and it went BANG. Probably get tossed in jail today with it : )
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:07 AM   #3

Nice photo, Steven - I've never heard of one much less seen a photo of it. It looks like it has a red eye, too.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the memories. We had these at our base in Wurzburg, Germany in the late 60's but in olive drab. I worked in G2-Air Recon and we used these planes for photo recon. We called them Ugly Ducklings. One of these days I'm going to have to make digital copies of my slides I took when I was there. Just never seem to find the time to do it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:05 AM   #5

Thanks for looking and commenting Eric, Ted, and and James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks for the memories. We had these at our base in Wurzburg, Germany in the late 60's but in olive drab. I worked in G2-Air Recon and we used these planes for photo recon. We called them Ugly Ducklings. One of these days I'm going to have to make digital copies of my slides I took when I was there. Just never seem to find the time to do it.
Very interesting James. You should definitely convert your slides before they deteriorate, I'm sure you have some unigue shots.

For the aviation buffs out there, Grumman was a naval aircraft company, but this wound up as an Army bird. This happened because initially it was designed for joint use by the Marines and the Army. But the Marines backed out due to budget considerations, and the OV-1 became an Army only bird.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:09 AM   #6

I might add that they were very dependable. I don't recall too many times where one was grounded because of problems. Warrant Officers (WO's) generally flew them. As to detioration, I'll deteriorate before the slides will.:-) Last time I looked they weren't too bad. They are stored in a cool place.

Last edited by James Emory; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:56 PM   #7

Thats a fab looking plane.. first time Ive ever seen one in a pic or a book, so a fab find Steve!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:59 PM   #8

The A10 Thunderbolt is almost as ugly as that one. I think unusual looking planes are pretty neat.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:36 PM   #9

I thought it was USNavy bird in those colours.. but its not ..
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:44 PM   #10

Thanks Harj. Glad you like the photo. One of the fun things about airshows is the chance to see those unusual aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
The A10 Thunderbolt is almost as ugly as that one. I think unusual looking planes are pretty neat.
Yes James, the A10 is diffidently an usual looking plane; the most effective tank killer aircraft ever in service. The aircraft body was actually designed around its gun. I have quite a few A-10 shots.