Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Default New York Sky Line

A few weeks ago my external hard drive crashes with all my pictures there, I called some recovery data companies and they charge between $800 and $3500 for transferring the files to another HD

A called a friend asking for help and advice and he offered me to fix and recover the information, he spent two weeks working on it and the last weekend he gave me my hard drive and the files saved in another one... everything at no charge
I invited him and his family to have lunch in a nice restaurant and I did a family portrait session for his family

Looking in my old files I found some that I never posted in my gallery and want to share with you guys.

All with the Oly E3 + 11-22mm + 50-200mm

Have a great day everyone.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Feb 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:29 AM   #2

Wow, I am so glad you got your photos recovered. Looks like it's time to buy an additional hard drive to back up your primary photo storage. (I have found it also easy to use my Smugmug account for photo backups.)

Those photos are excellent. I especially like the colors and composition of numbers 2 and 3. They are magazine quality shots.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Excellent shots Marcelo, excellent range of shots and lighting. We don't get a lot of that on the island here..

Glad you managed to get your pics back. I have 2 towers sitting in my basement waiting for me to get off my butt and get the hard drives coppied. If I take the hard drives to my local shop the price is fairly nominal to copy the content.
I also have an external hard drive sitting on my desk that I should copy to every so often......
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:03 AM   #4

Beautiful shots! So glad you got everything back.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:13 PM   #5

Fantastic Shots Marcelo
A really like the last two
Thanks for sharing
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:32 PM   #6

NYC's skyline is just something else.. I still remember my first time flying into Newark and looking out of the window in shock and awe at all of the lights!
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Default Thank you guys..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Wow, I am so glad you got your photos recovered. Looks like it's time to buy an additional hard drive to back up your primary photo storage. (I have found it also easy to use my Smugmug account for photo backups.)

Those photos are excellent. I especially like the colors and composition of numbers 2 and 3. They are magazine quality shots.
Thank you Steven, the HD was only six months old and the same day it crashes I bought a backup but it was late to move the files.

I really appreciate your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Excellent shots Marcelo, excellent range of shots and lighting. We don't get a lot of that on the island here..

Glad you managed to get your pics back. I have 2 towers sitting in my basement waiting for me to get off my butt and get the hard drives coppied. If I take the hard drives to my local shop the price is fairly nominal to copy the content.
I also have an external hard drive sitting on my desk that I should copy to every so often......
Hi Ken,

Thank you and I'm glad you like it, about the HD it is a great lesson to learn and just want to share it with you guys.

Have a great day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Beautiful shots! So glad you got everything back.

John
Thank you John..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Fantastic Shots Marcelo
A really like the last two
Thanks for sharing
Thank you Fred for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
NYC's skyline is just something else.. I still remember my first time flying into Newark and looking out of the window in shock and awe at all of the lights!
It is beautiful no doubt at all and next month I'll be visiting London for first time and provably my reaction will be same as yours

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Feb 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:06 AM   #8

Sorry I'm late to this thread, Marcelo. I like them all but #4 is my favorite, perhaps with a little more contrast. Good shooting!

I'm glad you were able to recover your files. Something most folks don't know is that Western Digital makes a type of hard drive that has a MTBF better than the consumer drives but not as good (nor as expensive) as server drives. They're called RAID Edition and the current version is #4 so they're "RE4" drives. You can see one here. I use them as the C: drive in my computers and as the primary backup drive.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:14 PM   #9

I have a 1TB back up drive and my files are auto synched every day.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:38 PM   #10

Hey Marcelo

London's skyline is nothing like NYC's, its pretty flat with very few sky scrapers although if you head up to Canary Wharf, its a bit like downtown Toronto (according to family from Canada).
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote