Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:58 PM   #1

Default The Olympic Park in 2013

A few pics of the Olympic Park over the last 2+ months - there rapidly deconstructing the stadiums

1. The Aquatic Centre, the Orbit tower and the main Olympic Stadium and the London skyline from Stratford.

A quick Pano put together with OOC jpegs and MS - ICE.

2. The crowds at the vistors centre in John Lewis:

3. Sun setting over the park .. Reconstruction continues of the stadiums

4. Another Pano - 22 OOC jpegs pics put thro MS ICE - all of the pics were over exposed a wee bit so I thinking of pp the RAWs through LR and then do the pana again to see how it compares.

Last edited by HarjTT; Feb 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:44 PM   #2

Thanks for posting these, harj. I've really enjoyed all your series of Olympic photos before, during, and after. It has been really interesting, and they all had a professional journalistic quality.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:06 PM   #3

Great set Harj,

Can wait to be there with my camera, the #3 is my favorite, looks like an HDR.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:57 AM   #4

I enjoyed these, Harj! Thanks for posting them.

Were none of the Olympic stadiums intended to be permanent? I thought the location was chosen to improve a less-desirable area of the city. I sure hope London got enough revenue from the Olympics to cover all the construction and deconstruction.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:36 PM   #5

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments. Personally I'm not too sure or happy with the pics but then again I'm not really a landscape shooter.

Pic3 - was just PP'd in LR from a single shot. I was hoping to have got the sunset a bit more orange and vibrant to match what it was actually like but I couldn't.

Ted, your right that the main Olympic park was built in one of the poorest parts of London, and somewhere where I've grown up. Its made a massive change to the area but only in the last 12-18 months did they become visible to the locals. The majority of those employed on building the site were not locals so that was a bit of a sore point for many.

Now most of the stadiums were built as temp structures and all to be modified or taken down after the games. The hockey, 12 tennis courts and basketball stadiums were completely temporary, with the Hockey stadium taken down the first few weeks of the games completing. The Basketball should have gone by now as the Brazilians had wanted it for Rio but then changed their minds, so I'm not quoet sure whats goign to happen with it.. I'm hoping they keep it and we can some pro basketball. The aquatic centre - the wings were temp and are now being removed and the main athletic stadium is going to be reduced from a 90k seater to something quiet a bit smaller. Here's an interesting read from teh Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/fe...egacy-olympics

Last edited by HarjTT; Feb 12, 2013 at 7:38 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:28 AM   #6

Thanks for the info and the Guardian article. I hope the new park helps the people in that area. In the US, sometimes that works but sometimes what happens is that the area becomes more attractive, people with better incomes move in while the real estate prices are still low, and the poor get shoved out.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:35 PM   #7

Hi Ted

There was some interesting bits of news just before the games were to start where one of the local councils had actively been forcing council tenants in one of the local estates close to yje park out of their homes to other parts of the borough or London. A couple of the tower blocks being sold to property developers with the last still block holding out but I'm not sure what happened to them since. There's another district close to the park where better income types have been moving and thats been happening for the last 10 years but what the newcomers don;t realise is that the Edwardian and Victorian houses and streets look great but the areas still a rough and at time unfriendly place to be and the tower blocks and the residents near by aren't going away . You can tell who they are as their homes have bars on the doors and windows and if they don't when they move it, they do after a few months.

The areas around the park been real deprived for many years.. my local town had ZERO invested in it by the local council or the state in the entire 40 years I've lived in this part of London. Its been allowed to just degrade with money always being invested in the upper part of the borough as far as I can remember. It was only because of the games that things have improved here although, Stratford was going to improve with or without the games due to the Westfield shopping centre that was built just before the games. Things are looking up and thats a very rare thing to say in these parts..

Last edited by HarjTT; Feb 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM.