Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:30 AM   #1

Default The Dan Harris memorial

I went briefly out this morning to take a look at what was happening to the Olympic park and stadiums close to home.

A few pics of the Dan Harris memorial that's near the spot where he was killed while cylcing (home possibly) during the Olympic games on 1st August 2012 at approx 7:30pm.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...media-bus.html

Sept 2012 - When I took these a month after the event I was not sure whether these items were for the same cyclist as I had assumed that the accident took place closer to Eaton Manor and thus home.

27th March 2013 - I went down to the same spot see whether Dan Harri's memorial was still there and it was:

A tragic loss of live and that specific junction where he was killed by the bus, is just as chaotic now as it was then during the games.

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:43 AM   #2

Hello Harj,

This is very nice and interesting journalistic work, the first and last pictures are my favorites.

In your second set of pictures you mention you returned to the site in March 2012?? or 2013?

Two weeks ago in Ecuador an activist for the cyclist rights was killed for a taxi... the contradictions of our world.

Have a great day.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Sorry Marcelo.. well spotted .. I still think its 2012 so I've corrected the date to 2013.

Back in Sept I thought I took more than a couple of shots but looking back I hadn't and at the time I wasn't sure whether the stickers and scarf were for some Jihadist group. Its a glad the memorial is still there, although it looked as if its been a long time since anyones been back to light a candle or new flowers. I'm planning to snap it at least once a month from now on.

Cycling in London is dangerous and it just seems to get worse.. you'd think in a 1st world country it would be safer but its not - cycle lanes are an after thought and the 16 or more killed last year inc D Harris proves it.

Marcelo... did you literally mean killed for a Taxi or did you mean by a Taxi ?

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:47 PM   #4

Thanks for posting these Harj. That was interesting and also sad.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5

Thank you for posting these pictures Harj.Very good compositions!May I ask how you can get aperture f/1.0 if your lens it's lowest is f/2.0 (saw that in the first picture) ?

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:06 PM   #6

Hey Lorde

Very good question.. ! I had no idea that the f2 was actually showing up as an F1.0 in the EXIF data,, could explain why the beasties so big! No 5 & the last one are showing up as F0.7 ??? Could be smug mug as I've been having some weird issues with uploading pics and loosing keywords and not seeing actual EXIF data on some files.

I'm going to check LR and see whats showing up there for that ic.. strange that it is showing as F1.0. I did read something where it was being stated that the 35-100F2 was actually a faster lens, much like the 7-14F4 which is actually an F2.8 but Oly restricts it to being a constant F4. Then again it could be glitch with the cam or the lens.

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Sorry Marcelo.. well spotted .. I still think its 2012 so I've corrected the date to 2013.

Marcelo... did you literally mean killed for a Taxi or did you mean by a Taxi ?
Thank you for mentioning it Harj, I mean "by a taxi"

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote