Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:34 PM   #1

Default 70-300 lens not focusing

Hello all, first post here.

I recently purchased a used 70-300 lens off eBay. I am having issues with the focus, as it will not focus most of the time. It will "hunt" continuously; or it will think it has set focus, but the shot is definitely not. I am trying to contact the seller to see about a refund. If that doesn't work, any ideas besides sending it to Olympus?

I have tested this lens on my e500 and e30 with the same results. With either camera, the lens is very slow to focus, and most of the time it will not even try to focus! In manual focus mode, it is just as bad. When you turn the ring a bit there will be no change, then turn it just a little more and bam-the lens moves a big step. You can't focus on something, cuz it will just over adjust, or not at all.

Is this a known issue with this lens? I did a bit of searching, but did not find anything to help.

Thank you, sean
seanmcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:31 PM   #2

Hi: I have not heard of this kind of problem personally, but it certainly sounds like a problem with the lens that will have to be fixed by Olympus. The fact that it occurs on more than one camera confirms that it is the lens. But I would first report the situation and the seller to e-Bay immediately. There is a guarantee backed by e-Bay if there was a defect that was not disclosed by the seller in the item description. So first contact e-Bay so they can also put pressure on the seller to correct.

Good luck and please let us know how the situation is resolved.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:02 AM   #3

Sean... ditto to what Steve's stated. Let us know how you get on and good luck in getting this sorted.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcgriff View Post
Hello all, first post here.

I recently purchased a used 70-300 lens off eBay. I am having issues with the focus, as it will not focus most of the time. It will "hunt" continuously; or it will think it has set focus, but the shot is definitely not. I am trying to contact the seller to see about a refund. If that doesn't work, any ideas besides sending it to Olympus?

I have tested this lens on my e500 and e30 with the same results. With either camera, the lens is very slow to focus, and most of the time it will not even try to focus! In manual focus mode, it is just as bad. When you turn the ring a bit there will be no change, then turn it just a little more and bam-the lens moves a big step. You can't focus on something, cuz it will just over adjust, or not at all.

Is this a known issue with this lens? I did a bit of searching, but did not find anything to help.

Thank you, sean
I had this issue a while back after I'd owned the lens for a couple of years. I contacted Olympus and had to send it to them for a fix. Cost about $100. Seems it's not a rare problem.
Haven't had a problem since and it was well worth it to me. It's almost my prime lens.
For you, perhaps take note of Steven.

Just put this in google (olympus 70-300 auto focussing issue) Lots of discussion on it and some self help...perhaps!

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:06 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the replies and suggestions. I was able to get in contact with the seller, and he said this is normal for this lens. Maybe the difficulty in low light focusing I'll believe, but the manual issue is still a problem. He said this lens came with his e-5 he bought off eBay and he has another one that he would swap with me. I think I'll take him up on this. I'll let you know.

PS, I also picked up an e-30 and really loving it so far. Now I need a new bag to carry the e-500 and e-30!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:09 PM   #6

Keep us informed, and yes, take him up on the offer to swap. Good luck and let us know.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you very much for the replies and suggestions. I was able to get in contact with the seller, and he said this is normal for this lens. Maybe the difficulty in low light focusing I'll believe, but the manual issue is still a problem. He said this lens came with his e-5 he bought off eBay and he has another one that he would swap with me. I think I'll take him up on this. I'll let you know.

PS, I also picked up an e-30 and really loving it so far. Now I need a new bag to carry the e-500 and e-30!
Definitely take him up on it. My 70-300 sometimes misses focus and I have to zoom out focus and zoom back in, but most of the time it hits focus, it is probably my most used lens.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:34 AM   #8

I am going to try the 'cleaning of the contact points' first just to be sure. I have tried the other ideas. The lens has the latest firmware (per the update program). I have also tried higher f stops and bright sunny contrasty target. I am in touch with the seller and he seems like a straight-up guy, so that's nice.
Thanks again,
SMc
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:48 AM   #9

Hi Ramce. I'll be anxious to try the 70-300 on my E-3 when I get the cash to buy one. I'm sure I'll buy used. From what I hear, that lens focuses much better on a 4/3rds body. I think it has something to do with phase detection focus where the E-PL models use contrast detection. Not sure though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Definitely take him up on it. My 70-300 sometimes misses focus and I have to zoom out focus and zoom back in, but most of the time it hits focus, it is probably my most used lens.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
I am going to try the 'cleaning of the contact points' first just to be sure. I have tried the other ideas. The lens has the latest firmware (per the update program). I have also tried higher f stops and bright sunny contrasty target. I am in touch with the seller and he seems like a straight-up guy, so that's nice.
Thanks again,
SMc
Yes, cleaning the contact points on both the lens and camera is a good idea.